POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Julia set Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Julia set (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Subject: Julia set
Date: 30 Oct 2001 09:14:58
Message: <3BDEB617.66F695D2@atosorigin.com>
I'm trying to make a kind of samples for the julia_fractal object,
something like the portfolio of 3.5 but only with julia_fractal, and
far simpler, and there is a lot of possible operations.

I had no problem finding a good 4D vectors for cube and square
(both in hypercomplex and quaternion), but I would really need some
help and suggestions for the remaining [a](sin|cos|tan)[h] as well
as exp, reciprocal, log and pwr.

I bet that if they exist, someone must have used them one day or another,
at least to test them, but I did not find any scenes with them,
and I really wonder what they look like.

Post a reply to this message

>I'm trying to make a kind of samples for the julia_fractal object,
>something like the portfolio of 3.5 but only with julia_fractal, and
>far simpler, and there is a lot of possible operations.

Indeed.

>I had no problem finding a good 4D vectors for cube and square
>(both in hypercomplex and quaternion), but I would really need some
>help and suggestions for the remaining [a](sin|cos|tan)[h] as well
>as exp, reciprocal, log and pwr.

The [h] bit is really hard to predict. sin and cos are often
continuous and tan is rarely so.

I'll dig up my old sources if they've survived the cleaning.

>I bet that if they exist, someone must have used them one day or another,
>at least to test them, but I did not find any scenes with them,
>and I really wonder what they look like.

I have. I've rendered about 15k fractals to date. Most of them being
random, hardly any are of any use :) But I'll see what I can do.

A neat trick I've done often is to choose two good-looking fractals
and do an anim by interpolating between parameters. Makes for some
cool morphing :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg