POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : High ambient values Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  High ambient values (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Thomas
Subject: High ambient values
Date: 17 Oct 2001 07:58:23
Message: <3BCD724B.EDDA1BB0@gmx.net>
Hi,

Why is it when I make the ambient higher then 1 of an object to starts
to loose it's color i.e. it gets white. Is that the way it should work?
It is certainly not what I was expecting, I just thought that the object
would "emit" more light in radiosity scene's with higher ambient values.

TIA

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> Why is it when I make the ambient higher then 1 of an object to starts
> to loose it's color i.e. it gets white. Is that the way it should work?
> It is certainly not what I was expecting, I just thought that the object
> would "emit" more light in radiosity scene's with higher ambient values.

Dunno, but thinking about it, this has always bugged me as well...

(sorry, that wasn't much help, was it?)

Post a reply to this message

> Why is it when I make the ambient higher then 1 of an object to starts
> to loose it's color i.e. it gets white.

All the components must be in range 0-1 for display. If one of the
components is already 1 and the ambient gain higher than 1 it gets
clipped for display and this changes the color towards white.
Internally the colors are floats so the color of the emitted light
is still correct.

_____________
Kari Kivisalo

Post a reply to this message

> All the components must be in range 0-1 for display. If one of the
> components is already 1 and the ambient gain higher than 1 it gets
> clipped for display and this changes the color towards white.
> Internally the colors are floats so the color of the emitted light
> is still correct.

It doesn't seem to do that. If I turn the up ambient value above 1 the
surroundings get whiter as well if I use radiosity.

Thomas.

Post a reply to this message