POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : High ambient values : Re: High ambient values Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High ambient values
From: Tom Melly
Date: 17 Oct 2001 10:34:35
Message: <3bcd96fb$1@news.povray.org>
"Kari Kivisalo" <ray### [at] engineercom> wrote in message

> All the components must be in range 0-1 for display. If one of the
> components is already 1 and the ambient gain higher than 1 it gets
> clipped for display and this changes the color towards white.
> Internally the colors are floats so the color of the emitted light
> is still correct.

So, one should divide the pigment by the ambient value used? (Hmm, I suppose
it's unrealistic to expect to be able to blind anyone who looks directly at a
rendered image?)

With the following code, how do I get my glowing ball (!) to illuminate the
surrounding sphere? Whatever I set brightness or ambient to, it remains dark,
although the plane is lit...

#version 3.5;
#include "colors.inc"

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
  radiosity {brightness 10}
}

camera {
  location  <0.0, 0, -4.0>
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

sphere{0, 50 inverse pigment{White} finish{ambient 0}}
plane{y, -1 pigment{White} finish{ambient 0}}

#declare myAmbient = 1
sphere {
  0.0, 1
  pigment {Red/myAmbient}