POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : High ambient values : Re: High ambient values Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: High ambient values
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 17 Oct 2001 10:57:40
Message: <3BCD9C62.AEB94A58@engineer.com>
Thomas wrote:

> It doesn't seem to do that. If I turn the up ambient value above 1 the
> surroundings get whiter as well if I use radiosity.

The same clipping is applied also to the surroundings. If you need
to know the correct unclipped color value at some point scale all
ambient and light sources by some value that prevents the clipping,
output linear samples (omit assumed_gamma), look up the pixel value
and divide it by the scale value. Now you have the unclipped color.

It's the limitation of the digital image formats and display
devices used. Povray works correctly internally.

Kari Kivisalo