POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Standby mode and paused rendering. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Standby mode and paused rendering. (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Standby mode and paused rendering.
Date: 4 Oct 2001 17:28:17
Message: <3BBCD43E.4D872668@aol.com>
I have used MegaPov 0.7 and 3.1g for years on PCs with Win98.  I have
set up very long renders, sometimes ones running for days, and never saw
an interruption.  The PC would go into a "screen lock" mode or whatever
(hey I'm no programmer!), but my perception is that this only affected
the monitor; it would never actually *interrupt* the rendering.

Now, using 3.5 on WinME,  I set up  a long render using radioisity.
When the PC went into that "screen lock" mode, the rendering actually
stopped, to resume when I reawakened the PC.  The rendering only
proceeded for the hour or so after I would actually use the PC for other
things.

Can anyone HELP ME with the information on whether:

    1) I need to change the settings in WinME for the
sleep/standby/autolockup, etc.,  and tell me where to find such
settings.

    OR

    2) This is something aboug 3.5 that is either
        a) buggy
        OR
        b) switch-off-able ?

Help from informed persons is appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

Look at the power management widget in Control Panel.  For there you should
be able to disable the standby state for your PC.  You may also have to
modify the power management settings in your BIOS.

Jim

"Greg M. Johnson" <"gregj56590[:-0]"@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have used MegaPov 0.7 and 3.1g for years on PCs with Win98.  I have
> set up very long renders, sometimes ones running for days, and never saw
> an interruption.  The PC would go into a "screen lock" mode or whatever
> (hey I'm no programmer!), but my perception is that this only affected
> the monitor; it would never actually *interrupt* the rendering.
>
> Now, using 3.5 on WinME,  I set up  a long render using radioisity.
> When the PC went into that "screen lock" mode, the rendering actually
> stopped, to resume when I reawakened the PC.  The rendering only
> proceeded for the hour or so after I would actually use the PC for other
> things.
>
> Can anyone HELP ME with the information on whether:
>
>     1) I need to change the settings in WinME for the
> sleep/standby/autolockup, etc.,  and tell me where to find such
> settings.
>
>     OR
>
>     2) This is something aboug 3.5 that is either
>         a) buggy
>         OR
>         b) switch-off-able ?
>
> Help from informed persons is appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

I have the Italian version of windows ME, so the terms may be a little
different.
Go to the screen properties windows (right click on your desktop and then
choose *properties*). Go to the screen-saver page. Look at the bottom of the
windows. You should see an *energetic saving* section here. Go there and
change the settings.
Hope this helps.

--
Jonathan

"Greg M. Johnson" <"gregj56590[:-0]"@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> I have used MegaPov 0.7 and 3.1g for years on PCs with Win98.  I have
> set up very long renders, sometimes ones running for days, and never saw
> an interruption.  The PC would go into a "screen lock" mode or whatever
> (hey I'm no programmer!), but my perception is that this only affected
> the monitor; it would never actually *interrupt* the rendering.
>
> Now, using 3.5 on WinME,  I set up  a long render using radioisity.
> When the PC went into that "screen lock" mode, the rendering actually
> stopped, to resume when I reawakened the PC.  The rendering only
> proceeded for the hour or so after I would actually use the PC for other
> things.
>
> Can anyone HELP ME with the information on whether:
>
>     1) I need to change the settings in WinME for the
> sleep/standby/autolockup, etc.,  and tell me where to find such
> settings.
>
>     OR
>
>     2) This is something aboug 3.5 that is either
>         a) buggy
>         OR
>         b) switch-off-able ?
>
> Help from informed persons is appreciated.

Post a reply to this message

> Look at the power management widget in Control Panel.  For there you should
> be able to disable the standby state for your PC.  You may also have to
> modify the power management settings in your BIOS.

Current settings:
    Turn off harddisks: NEVER
    System standby: NEVER

I am sorry I don't know where to find BIOS.

Post a reply to this message