POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OT: cpu speed & rendering time Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  OT: cpu speed & rendering time (Message 11 to 20 of 32)
From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time
Date: 12 Jan 2001 20:34:42
Message: <3A5FB0F7.E788177D@peak.edu.ee>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>
> > If rendering speed (with povray) is the same, then it really doesn't
> > matter which CPU you use :)
>
> Do you really mean that a 450 MHz Pentium II is as fast as a 450 MHz Pentium
> III,  Celeron, etc., as far as povray rendering time?

Believe or not, the above is usually true for the three processors you named.
In my experience, the main factor in POV performance is the processor's FPU
(Floating Point Unit), the part of the processor which handles math-intensive
computations such as - surprise - raytracing. The three processors you mention
all belong to the same family of processors (which also includes the old Pentium
Pro, but not Pentium IV). As such they have all but identical floating point
units.
I used to have a Celeron myself, and its POV benchmarks were practically equal
to those of Pentium II / Pentium III at the same clock speed.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee
Home page http://www.hot.ee/margusrt