POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OT: cpu speed & rendering time : Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time
From: David Fontaine
Date: 12 Jan 2001 22:06:57
Message: <3A5FC52A.609144F3@faricy.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> > If rendering speed (with povray) is the same, then it really doesn't
> > matter which CPU you use :)
>
> Do you really mean that a 450 MHz Pentium II is as fast as a 450 MHz Pentium
> III,  Celeron, etc., as far as povray rendering time?   It goes against my
> intuition, or at least my cynical view that it's not that simple.

Indeed it should. That's not what he means. "Statistics" are easily abused by
people who don't understand the math or do well and can use it to their benefit.
Marketing people know how to do that. Like the Pentium IV; more MHz but same
megaflops, or RDRAM, faster transfer but slower access, or those supposed "40x"
cd-roms that take five seconds to spin up and misread (ie reread) data... people
like numbers. Americans are the worst when it comes to that...