POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OT: cpu speed & rendering time : Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OT: cpu speed & rendering time
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 12 Jan 2001 21:29:31
Message: <3A5FBDCF.A147922F@peak.edu.ee>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Anyone know the difference between a:
>
> AMD Athlon
> Pentium III
> Intel Celeron
>
> for similar speed?

Athlon (and its little brother, Duron) is probably best of the three, at least
in POV-Ray.
Pentium III should be similar in terms of performance, but costs quite a bit
more than an equivalent Athlon.
Celeron, while probably a reasonable performer in POV, is by now widely regarded
as overpriced and underpowered. It recently experienced a mild facelift
(migrating to a 100MHz bus speed), but in my opinion that's too little too late.

If you want a good machine for POV-Ray, I'd recommend the following:
Athlon "Thunderbird" for best performance (currently goes up to 1.2 GHz)
Athlon "Duron" for best value (currently up to 850 MHz)
The P III is also a solid processor if you've got money to burn. It reputedly
has less compatibility problems than Athlon (although I've had no trouble with
my Duron).
I don't recommend the Celeron; nor do I recommend the new Pentium 4, at least
until system prices drop and optimized software becomes available.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee
Home page http://www.hot.ee/margusrt