POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Qwextions about area_light Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Qwextions about area_light (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Dawn McKnight
Subject: Qwextions about area_light
Date: 11 Nov 2000 01:47:03
Message: <3A0CEB66.142B670F@mac.com>
Chris H., thanks for the macro.  I hadn't thought about doing that.

I'm finding I don't understand the concept of area_light very well, and
I was wondering if someone could clarify it for me?  Looking at page 222
of the official documentation, I read that the syntax is:

light_source { <location>, COLOR area_light <Axis_1>, <Axis_2>, Size_1,
Size_2 [adaptive ADAPTIVE] [jitter JITTER] [LIGHT_MODIFIERS] }

What I don't understand is the axis_1 and axis_2.  The descriptive
paragraph just above the syntax says that an area light is a one or
two-dimensional area of space.

Therefore, one possible interpretation of this syntax would be that the
area starts at the location of the light_source, and extends in one
direction until the limit set by the axis_1, then again starts at the
location, and extends in a second direction until it hits the limit set
by axis_2, forming between them the two sides we need to know to form a rectangle.

A second possible interpretation of this syntax is that it should be
specified in the same way as a box, with more than one plane location
specified in the vector arguments, and the area_light filling the area
between the two points.

Which is the correct interpretation?

If it is the first one, how do you use this with the looks_like
argument?  You'd get half of your cylinder, for instance, lit... or even
a quarter of it, depending on how the object is displayed around the
<location> argument.

I know that I'm probably making this more difficult than it ought to be,
but I just don't understand.

As an afterthought, can anyone suggest a good texture for simulating leather?

Thanks in advance.

Dawn, the confused.

Post a reply to this message

> Chris H., thanks for the macro.  I hadn't thought about doing that.

You're welcome... :-)

> I'm finding I don't understand the concept of area_light very well, and
> I was wondering if someone could clarify it for me?  Looking at page 222
> of the official documentation, I read that the syntax is:
>
> light_source { <location>, COLOR area_light <Axis_1>, <Axis_2>, Size_1,
> Size_2 [adaptive ADAPTIVE] [jitter JITTER] [LIGHT_MODIFIERS] }
>
> What I don't understand is the axis_1 and axis_2.  The descriptive
> paragraph just above the syntax says that an area light is a one or
> two-dimensional area of space.

I have always interpreted it this way: the <location> vector specifies
the center of the source, the two <Axis_x> vectors specify the
directions and extents of the rectangle, and the Size_x values specify
the "resolution" of the area light. The area light would go from
<location>-Axis_1-Axis_2 to <location>+Axis_1+Axis_2.
The documentation is pretty vague though, and I have very rarely used
area lights, so I could easily be wrong...

> If it is the first one, how do you use this with the looks_like
> argument?  You'd get half of your cylinder, for instance, lit... or even
> a quarter of it, depending on how the object is displayed around the
> <location> argument.

looks_like simply places a copy of the looks_like object at the location
of the light source. The looks_like object will automatically be made
shadowless, but will be lit normally(I personally have never used
looks_like, I prefer to use unions of objects with the light source).
Also, area lights only affect shadows, not surface shading, so there is
no reason for only half of the object to be illuminated.

> As an afterthought, can anyone suggest a good texture for simulating
> leather?

Depends on what you want, "leather" can have a lot of different colors
and textures. A fairly simple pigment with a crackle, granite, or
wrinkles normal would probably work well...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message