POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mega pov Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  mega pov (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Pete
Subject: mega pov
Date: 13 Sep 2000 18:56:36
Message: <861.291T2760T11235813PeterC@nym.alias.net>
I realize that by discussing megapov, I should rightfully
be posting on "povray.unofficial.patches".  Sorry in advance.  I
am posting here in "povray.general" because I expect a larger
readership in "povray.general".
        I have noticed that a great deal of the message traffic
here on the povray news servers currently deals with "mega pov",
am unofficial  hacked-up derviative of povray, and "iso-surfaces",
a feature that is very interesting, but is not in the Official
version of povray. In fact, out of the last 200-ish messages that
I read, only 30 did not mention iso-surfaces or megapov!!!!
        This is very frustrating.
        Is there a version of Megapov for the Amiga?  I have
searched for it and it seems that there is none but I wanted to
check here (where most of (all of?) the pov people seem to
"hang out") to make sure.

Pete

Post a reply to this message

since the source code is available, it has been compiled for a lot of
systems, but you'll have to ask nathan kopp about the amiga, or compile
it yourself.

Pete wrote:

>         I realize that by discussing megapov, I should rightfully
> be posting on "povray.unofficial.patches".  Sorry in advance.  I
> am posting here in "povray.general" because I expect a larger
> readership in "povray.general".
>         I have noticed that a great deal of the message traffic
> here on the povray news servers currently deals with "mega pov",
> am unofficial  hacked-up derviative of povray, and "iso-surfaces",
> a feature that is very interesting, but is not in the Official
> version of povray. In fact, out of the last 200-ish messages that
> I read, only 30 did not mention iso-surfaces or megapov!!!!
>         This is very frustrating.
>         Is there a version of Megapov for the Amiga?  I have
> searched for it and it seems that there is none but I wanted to
> check here (where most of (all of?) the pov people seem to
> "hang out") to make sure.
>
> Pete

Post a reply to this message

"ryan constantine" <rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
news:39C### [at] yahoocom...
| since the source code is available, it has been compiled for a lot of
| systems, but you'll have to ask nathan kopp about the amiga, or compile
| it yourself.

Or wait a few months (or less, or more?) for the official POV-Ray with
isosurface feature included.
See the povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions group for more about it.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

"Bob Hughes" <per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
| "ryan constantine" <rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
| news:39C### [at] yahoocom...
| | since the source code is available, it has been compiled for a lot of
| | systems, but you'll have to ask nathan kopp about the amiga, or compile
| | it yourself.
|
| Or wait a few months (or less, or more?) for the official POV-Ray with
| isosurface feature included.
| See the povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions group for more about
it.

I realized just after posting this that I should have checked the Amiga link
at www.povray.org and have now done so.  Looks like the official POV-Ray
Amiga versions are outdated and the latest date I saw there (
http://www.amigaworld.com/support/povamiga/ ) was Jan. '99.  So you'll
probably need to ask if there are any plans to do a compile of v3.5 for that
platform.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

"ryan constantine" <rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote...
> since the source code is available, it has been compiled for a lot of
> systems, but you'll have to ask nathan kopp about the amiga, or compile
> it yourself.

If someone wants to be in charge of compiling and maintaining an Amiga
version, I'll be happy to link to their page.  I don't have access to any
Amiga machines, so I would not be able to do it myself.  (FYI, I wouldn't
have the time, even if I did have access to the hardware and software,
unfortunately.)

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

> If someone wants to be in charge of compiling and maintaining an Amiga
> version, I'll be happy to link to their page.  I don't have access to any
> Amiga machines, so I would not be able to do it myself.  (FYI, I wouldn't
> have the time, even if I did have access to the hardware and software,
> unfortunately.)

of course, we understand.  occasionally, the rest of us suffer from
bouts with real life.  as for the amiga, i haven't seen one in my corner
of america for maybe 10 or 15 years and the only users i have even heard
of are in europe.

Post a reply to this message

> of course, we understand.  occasionally, the rest of us suffer from
> bouts with real life.  as for the amiga, i haven't seen one in my corner
> of america for maybe 10 or 15 years and the only users i have even heard
> of are in europe.

iirc they are still being used for some high-end graphics work - wasn't a
lot of the Babylon 5 stuff produced on Amigas?

Incidentally, is that bouts of real life or bouts with real life. Either, I
suppose, would be accurate. ;)

Post a reply to this message