POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : OK I give up Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:30:07 EDT (-0400)
  OK I give up (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Ian Witham
Subject: Re: OK I give up
Date: 23 Aug 2000 04:57:46
Message: <39a3920a@news.povray.org>
But doesn't every cloud had Silver_Lining by default?

"Richard Morton" <ric### [at] hotmailremovethisbitcom> wrote in message
> and please note that Silver_Lining is a mandatory parameter for all cloud
code.

> Ian Witham wrote:
>
> > Hi -- haven't got time to test this but it should work
> >
> > cloud {<0, 1000, 0>
> >             pigment {rgb 1}
> >             fluffiness 5
> >             looks_like_rain 0
> >             }
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ian
> >
> > Inkwell: Ian's Homepage
> > http://www.topcities.com/cartoon/inkwell/index.htm
> > "Mick Hazelgrove" <mic### [at] mhazelgrovefsnetcouk> wrote in message
> > > I have spent months trying to write  realistic cloud code. All my
attempts
> > > have come to nothing.  The nearest thing to realistic clouds in Pov
and
> > > possibly the only way to do it well, is Mike Andrews clouds code. So I
> > guess
> > > I shall be working with that for a while. If anyone has any other
useful
> > and
> > > workable suggestions, now's yer chance ter get 'em off yer chest!
> > >
> > > Mick

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Melly
Date: 23 Aug 2000 07:02:22
Message: <39a3af3e$1@news.povray.org>
"Ian Witham" <ian### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> But doesn't every cloud had Silver_Lining by default?

Nope - however, every silver_lining does have a cloud.

Post a reply to this message

From: Michael Andrews
Date: 23 Aug 2000 07:56:54
Message: <39A3BBC7.2333BA49@reading.ac.uk>
WOW! Someone still finds these clouds useful? Pardon me while I pick
myself up off the floor. :-)

I haven't had time to do much rendering recently (ie the last six months
or so) and my cloud studies have seriously fallen by the wayside. I
almost produced an entry for the IRTC this time, the basic scene was
finished a month ago, but then things got busy and I haven't touched it
since. I'll keep it on my active projects list, but I don't know if I'll
ever get it to a 'finished' state ...

I've experimented, with very limited success, in producing single
cumulus/thunder head/storm cell cloud forms using isosurfaces. Nothing
very useful or workable I'm afraid. I still think about the problem when
I see a nice sunset or towering rain cloud, trying to imagine how to
produce the form and sheer variation in cloud texture that you see, but
ideas have been few and far between.

Please don't give up on the idea, maybe just put it on the back burner
for a few months. I'm sure the capability is there, it just needs
teasing out of obscurity ...

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.

Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> I have spent months trying to write  realistic cloud code. All my attempts
> have come to nothing.  The nearest thing to realistic clouds in Pov and
> possibly the only way to do it well, is Mike Andrews clouds code. So I guess
> I shall be working with that for a while. If anyone has any other useful and
> workable suggestions, now's yer chance ter get 'em off yer chest!
>
> Mick

Post a reply to this message

> I still think about the problem when I see a nice sunset or towering
> rain cloud, trying to imagine how to produce the form and sheer
> variation in cloud texture that you see, but ideas have been few and
> far between.

Maybe an atmospheric particle system of some sort would be useful...I
don't know how you would do it, though. Maybe high drag, a couple
emitters per cloud with different temperatures and directions...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe an atmospheric particle system of some sort would be useful...I
> don't know how you would do it, though. Maybe high drag, a couple
> emitters per cloud with different temperatures and directions...

I don't think that would suffice for a good cloud simulation, because cloud
particles are not emitted from a source but come into existence everywere in the
cloud.  You would probably have to include the condensation and evaporation(?)
of water in your system.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>