POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : List of povray versions Server Time
9 Aug 2024 08:59:46 EDT (-0400)
  List of povray versions (Message 1 to 10 of 32)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: List of povray versions
Date: 28 Aug 2000 08:37:43
Message: <39AA5BE4.1314AA4D@my-dejanews.com>
Can someone give me a list of all of the official ancestors and bastard
children of Pov 3.1g?  (This info will be used as part of the "10 Best
CD" collection.

The list would be something like:
DBK Trace,
Pov 3.0001, 3.02, etc.
Super patch
Mega
Johnny's pathch #1123

etc.

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: List of povray versions
Date: 28 Aug 2000 09:11:35
Message: <39AA6536.C2570ACF@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Can someone give me a list of all of the official ancestors and bastard
> children of Pov 3.1g?  (This info will be used as part of the "10 Best
> CD" collection.

No complete list, but:

The 3.1 subversions are described in:

http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Official/revision.txt

I also found this coming with good old Pov 2.2:

    What's New in POV-Ray 2.2

    --------------------------

    This bug-fix release adds no new features but fixes the following

    bugs from version 2.1.

  - Fixed problem with declared material_maps or declared objects with

    material_maps (yet again)

  - Eliminated unnecessary turbulence calculations in normals

  - Fixed all known problems with height fields

  - Fixed IBM.C problems for Watcom compiler DPMI support

  - Added Symatec C compiler make files for IBM version

  - New video modes added to Amiga version

    What's New in POV-Ray 2.1

    --------------------------

    This bug-fix release adds no new features but fixes the following

    bugs from version 2.0.

  - Fixed problem in OBJECTS.C that caused problem on some Unix compilers

  - Fixed problem with declared material_maps or declared objects with

    material_maps

  - Fixed IBM.C problems for Zortech compiler

  - Created temporary fix for problems with normals, smooth triangles

    beziers and height fields which created unsightly black spots

  - Allows scale <-1,1,1> to work with boxes

  - Cleared up inconsistency with -sr, -sc, -er, -ec numbering.  Upper

    left pixel is 1,1.  Fixed -ec bug.

  - Fixed three bezier patch bugs which caused lock-ups, missing reflection,

    and triangle dropouts.

  - Eliminated some restrictions on multiple clipped_by and bounded_by

  - Fixed compiler problems on VMS/VAX

  - Fixed scaling bug on degenerate triangles

  - Fixed problem with water_level when using +MV1.0

  - Fixed problem with color mapped TGA height fields

    What's New in POV-Ray 2.0

    -------------------------

    The following is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of every

    new feature, but should give experienced users a pretty good guide

    of what has been changed and what has been added.  Please refer to

    POVRAY.DOC for details.

    General:

    -------

  - Automatic bounding slabs for greatly enhanced rendering speed of

    most scenes.

  - Adding, subtracting, multiplying & dividing of floats & vectors.

  - Clock global variable for external animation support.

  - X, Y, and Z global vector constants.

  - Improved antialiasing routine with new commandline options.

    Commandline options:

    -------------------

  - Version switch for backwards compatibility.

  - Starting/ending column/row switches for trace window.

  - Relative/absolute values for trace window switches.

  - Antialiasing jitter scale value and toggle.

  - Number of antialiasing rays to shoot.

  - Internal "clock" setting for animations.

    Objects:

    -------

  - Soft penumbral shadows from extended area lights.

  - Smoother Bezier patches.

  - New simplified torus syntax.

  - Heightfield water_level now uses range 0-1 instead of 0-255.

  - Heightfields can now be clipped and used in CSG operations.

  - Heightfields can be phong-shaded with the "smooth" option.

  - New, improved finite cylinders, cones, and discs, with

    optional "capping" of cones and cylinders.

  - More versatile CSG unions have replaced the need for composites.

  - CSG texturing has been made much more flexible.

  - New "merge" removes internal boundaries between transparent

    unioned objects.

    Textures:

    --------

  - Hexagon pigment texture.

  - Radial pigment texture.

  - Mandelbrot pigment texture.

  - Texture attributes grouped into 3 independently scalable groups:

    pigment, normal, and finish.

  - TIR (Total Internal Reflection) for more realistic refraction.

  - Fractional Brownian Motion (fbm) turbulence controls.

  - Turbulence can now be used independently with any pigment or normal

    texture.

  - Optional vector-style turbulence values.

  - Background coloring.

  - Color maps can now be declared.

  - Frequency, phase keywords now available for use with color_maps.

  - Filter keyword replaces "alpha", letting us reserve alpha for other

    uses in the future.

  - Less restrictive distribution policy.  See POVLEGAL.DOC for

    details.

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>