POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : List of povray versions : Re: List of povray versions Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: List of povray versions
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Aug 2000 09:11:35
Message: <39AA6536.C2570ACF@schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> Can someone give me a list of all of the official ancestors and bastard
> children of Pov 3.1g?  (This info will be used as part of the "10 Best
> CD" collection.

No complete list, but:

The 3.1 subversions are described in:

http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Official/revision.txt

I also found this coming with good old Pov 2.2:

    What's New in POV-Ray 2.2

    --------------------------

    This bug-fix release adds no new features but fixes the following

    bugs from version 2.1.

  - Fixed problem with declared material_maps or declared objects with

    material_maps (yet again)

  - Eliminated unnecessary turbulence calculations in normals

  - Fixed all known problems with height fields

  - Fixed IBM.C problems for Watcom compiler DPMI support

  - Added Symatec C compiler make files for IBM version

  - New video modes added to Amiga version

    What's New in POV-Ray 2.1

    --------------------------

    This bug-fix release adds no new features but fixes the following

    bugs from version 2.0.

  - Fixed problem in OBJECTS.C that caused problem on some Unix compilers

  - Fixed problem with declared material_maps or declared objects with

    material_maps

  - Fixed IBM.C problems for Zortech compiler

  - Created temporary fix for problems with normals, smooth triangles

    beziers and height fields which created unsightly black spots

  - Allows scale <-1,1,1> to work with boxes

  - Cleared up inconsistency with -sr, -sc, -er, -ec numbering.  Upper

    left pixel is 1,1.  Fixed -ec bug.

  - Fixed three bezier patch bugs which caused lock-ups, missing reflection,

    and triangle dropouts.

  - Eliminated some restrictions on multiple clipped_by and bounded_by

  - Fixed compiler problems on VMS/VAX

  - Fixed scaling bug on degenerate triangles

  - Fixed problem with water_level when using +MV1.0

  - Fixed problem with color mapped TGA height fields

    What's New in POV-Ray 2.0

    -------------------------

    The following is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of every

    new feature, but should give experienced users a pretty good guide

    of what has been changed and what has been added.  Please refer to

    POVRAY.DOC for details.

    General:

    -------

  - Automatic bounding slabs for greatly enhanced rendering speed of

    most scenes.

  - Adding, subtracting, multiplying & dividing of floats & vectors.

  - Clock global variable for external animation support.

  - X, Y, and Z global vector constants.

  - Improved antialiasing routine with new commandline options.

    Commandline options:

    -------------------

  - Version switch for backwards compatibility.

  - Starting/ending column/row switches for trace window.

  - Relative/absolute values for trace window switches.

  - Antialiasing jitter scale value and toggle.

  - Number of antialiasing rays to shoot.

  - Internal "clock" setting for animations.

    Objects:

    -------

  - Soft penumbral shadows from extended area lights.

  - Smoother Bezier patches.

  - New simplified torus syntax.

  - Heightfield water_level now uses range 0-1 instead of 0-255.

  - Heightfields can now be clipped and used in CSG operations.

  - Heightfields can be phong-shaded with the "smooth" option.

  - New, improved finite cylinders, cones, and discs, with

    optional "capping" of cones and cylinders.

  - More versatile CSG unions have replaced the need for composites.

  - CSG texturing has been made much more flexible.

  - New "merge" removes internal boundaries between transparent

    unioned objects.

    Textures:

    --------

  - Hexagon pigment texture.

  - Radial pigment texture.

  - Mandelbrot pigment texture.

  - Texture attributes grouped into 3 independently scalable groups:

    pigment, normal, and finish.

  - TIR (Total Internal Reflection) for more realistic refraction.

  - Fractional Brownian Motion (fbm) turbulence controls.

  - Turbulence can now be used independently with any pigment or normal

    texture.

  - Optional vector-style turbulence values.

  - Background coloring.

  - Color maps can now be declared.

  - Frequency, phase keywords now available for use with color_maps.

  - Filter keyword replaces "alpha", letting us reserve alpha for other

    uses in the future.

  - Less restrictive distribution policy.  See POVLEGAL.DOC for

    details.

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>