POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rerendering at higher resolutions Server Time
9 Aug 2024 01:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Rerendering at higher resolutions (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Filiep Geeraert
Subject: Rerendering at higher resolutions
Date: 23 Aug 2000 16:32:00
Message: <39A4360C.67970FA7@poboxes.com>
I was wondering about this.
Being an enthusiast of raytracing, but not very creative, and having few
knowledge of how it all works, I am limited to rendering other people's
work.
For years I wanted to print them at the best quality, but not too
costly.
Now with the advent of the digital camera, Kodak and in my country
Spector are giving you the option of printing photos (but also other
files in JPG format) at a maximum resolution of 30x20 cm.
This seems enough for what I want to do.
So I have started looking at all the images from the IRTC that I like,
and  changing the aspect ratio to 3:2, and the resolution to 3000x2000
with antialiasing, which you would need to get those pictures at
sufficient quality on print without any ugly borders.
You can then put them in a frame.

What I was wondering if there are other people that would be interested
in those JPG files, and what the creators of those files would think if
I made a website with some of there works of art :

- at 3000x2000x16.7 million colours, with a 3:2 aspect ratio.
- I would of course put the name of the person that created it next to
it.

Would they object to this ?
I mean : on the one hand they're not my works of art, and they might
object to the fact I am changing the aspect ratio.
On the other I would respect their copyright by not pretending I created
them, and by placing the names of the authors next to them.
After all, anyone could rerender them and change them accordingly, as
you can get the files from the IRTC archives.

Post a reply to this message

Very close to a sales concept there.  Not sure how you could go about doing
that without a lengthy contract signed by each person.  Not everyone thinks
of the business aspects of what they are doing even though it comes close to
being so simply by the distribution (redistribution in this case) of their
work.

Bob

Post a reply to this message

> I mean : on the one hand they're not my works of art, and they might
> object to the fact I am changing the aspect ratio.
> On the other I would respect their copyright by not pretending I created
> them, and by placing the names of the authors next to them.
> After all, anyone could rerender them and change them accordingly, as
> you can get the files from the IRTC archives.

I think the only way every author would accept is to contact the author and
ask for permission.

       Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> I think the only way every author would accept is to contact the author and
> ask for permission.
>
>        Thorsten

I tend to think of it as a moral responsibility.

> What I was wondering if there are other people that would be interested
> in those JPG files, and what the creators of those files would think if
> I made a website with some of there works of art :
>
> - at 3000x2000x16.7 million colours, with a 3:2 aspect ratio.
> - I would of course put the name of the person that created it next to
> it.

There is already a site with some larger version of IRTC images:

http://sh55k01.jvb.tudelft.nl/irtc/

Not the size you want, but it's somewhere on the way.

> Would they object to this ?
> I mean : on the one hand they're not my works of art, and they might
> object to the fact I am changing the aspect ratio.
> On the other I would respect their copyright by not pretending I created
> them, and by placing the names of the authors next to them.
> After all, anyone could rerender them and change them accordingly, as
> you can get the files from the IRTC archives.

You surely have to get permission from every single artist.

You should also remember, that the aspect ratio somehow is part of the work, so
you would also change the scene in some way.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>