POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Triangle mesh output? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:01:06 EDT (-0400)
  Triangle mesh output? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Scott Jewell
Subject: Triangle mesh output?
Date: 22 Aug 2000 01:12:20
Message: <39a20bb4@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I realize that I haven't *lurked* the appropriate amount of time,
but I was really surprised that POV doesn't seem to have the
ability to output some sort of triangle mesh output (or does it?).

Years ago I used PolyRay and it did this (of course!?).

I was hoping that I could use POV to develop some sort of scene
that I could then import (Load()) into Directx (or is that a dirty word).

I guess I expected at least a 3DS sort of thing since it seems that
POV at some point obviously knows the coordinates of the object.

Perhaps someone could point to the proper place in the source
where this might happen?

Still looking....

Scott

Post a reply to this message

can't do it at this time.  objects need to be tesselated which turns
them into triangle meshes.  there are a ton of objects polyray could
never make, but even the simple ones don't have the tesselation code
written into the pov program yet.  many people have asked for the
ability to output, but as the pov team decides what features to
implement, we can only hope and not bother them to the point of
annoyance.

Scott Jewell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I realize that I haven't *lurked* the appropriate amount of time,
> but I was really surprised that POV doesn't seem to have the
> ability to output some sort of triangle mesh output (or does it?).
>
> Years ago I used PolyRay and it did this (of course!?).
>
> I was hoping that I could use POV to develop some sort of scene
> that I could then import (Load()) into Directx (or is that a dirty word).
>
> I guess I expected at least a 3DS sort of thing since it seems that
> POV at some point obviously knows the coordinates of the object.
>
> Perhaps someone could point to the proper place in the source
> where this might happen?
>
> Still looking....
>
> Scott

Post a reply to this message

> ability to output, but as the pov team decides what features to
> implement, we can only hope and not bother them to the point of
> annoyance.

I am fairly certain that if someone were to submit a working patch
that added this functionality they would seriously consider addding
it to the official version :)