POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Which upgrade would help the most? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Which upgrade would help the most? (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Thomas Lake
Subject: Which upgrade would help the most?
Date: 21 Jul 2000 03:46:11
Message: <39780071.5F9A93E5@home.com>
I have been saving up for a new, "killer", PC, well sorta killer. I
currently have the following:

PII 400
128MB RAM
Creative TNT1 Vid card
8Gig HD
2NIC's
Winmodem
SoundBlaster Live! Platinum
CambrideSoundWorks DTT2500 Digital Speakers
17" NEC MultiSync 70 Screen

I am going to get the hollowing:

PIII800
128-256MB RAM
Asus V6800 Deluxe Vid Card
40Gig HD
DVD drive
(The rest of the stuff will be the same)

Whichm upgrade the CPU or the RAM would give me the biggest boost in
Pov-Ray? Or an I already at the point where I would not notice any
difference? If that is the case I might get a larger monitor?

Oh yeah I use Moray to model ALL my scenes, so that is another
consideration, I also use Rhino 3D a lot.

--
Come visit my web site:-) : http://www.geocities.com/~thomaslake/

Post a reply to this message

> I have been saving up for a new, "killer", PC, well sorta killer. I
> currently have the following:
>
> PII 400
> 128MB RAM
> Creative TNT1 Vid card
> 8Gig HD
> 2NIC's
> Winmodem
> SoundBlaster Live! Platinum
> CambrideSoundWorks DTT2500 Digital Speakers
> 17" NEC MultiSync 70 Screen
>
> I am going to get the hollowing:
>
> PIII800
> 128-256MB RAM
> Asus V6800 Deluxe Vid Card
> 40Gig HD
> DVD drive
> (The rest of the stuff will be the same)
>
> Whichm upgrade the CPU or the RAM would give me the biggest boost in
> Pov-Ray? Or an I already at the point where I would not notice any
> difference? If that is the case I might get a larger monitor?
>
> Oh yeah I use Moray to model ALL my scenes, so that is another
> consideration, I also use Rhino 3D a lot.

CPU first for speed, memory second and only if your scenes are
becoming memory intensive enough that you are having to use your
hard drive to make up for a lack of memory (lots of #while loops
and such).

For a general run down on performance see -

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/miscVFAQ.html#renderingspeed

I got a 5 times speed increase when I went to a PIII from my PII (according
to RC5 anyway, my Q3A framerate jumped massively too).

CPU first, then the RAM, IMO.

--
Lance

The Zone
http://come.to/the.zone

Post a reply to this message

: CPU first for speed, memory second and only if your scenes are
: becoming memory intensive enough that you are having to use your
: hard drive to make up for a lack of memory (lots of #while loops
: and such).

  The #while loops themselves do not take memory (they are CPU-intensive).
If millions of objects are created inside the loop, then it will be memory,
intensive (although the #while is not directly related to it; it's just
a shortcut).