POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Which upgrade would help the most? : Re: Which upgrade would help the most? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 11:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Which upgrade would help the most?
From: Ken
Date: 21 Jul 2000 03:54:21
Message: <3978003C.B67260D6@pacbell.net>
Thomas Lake wrote:

> I have been saving up for a new, "killer", PC, well sorta killer. I
> currently have the following:
>
> PII 400
> 128MB RAM
> Creative TNT1 Vid card
> 8Gig HD
> 2NIC's
> Winmodem
> SoundBlaster Live! Platinum
> CambrideSoundWorks DTT2500 Digital Speakers
> 17" NEC MultiSync 70 Screen
>
> I am going to get the hollowing:
>
> PIII800
> 128-256MB RAM
> Asus V6800 Deluxe Vid Card
> 40Gig HD
> DVD drive
> (The rest of the stuff will be the same)
>
> Whichm upgrade the CPU or the RAM would give me the biggest boost in
> Pov-Ray? Or an I already at the point where I would not notice any
> difference? If that is the case I might get a larger monitor?
>
> Oh yeah I use Moray to model ALL my scenes, so that is another
> consideration, I also use Rhino 3D a lot.

CPU first for speed, memory second and only if your scenes are
becoming memory intensive enough that you are having to use your
hard drive to make up for a lack of memory (lots of #while loops
and such).

For a general run down on performance see -

http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ/miscVFAQ.html#renderingspeed