POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Info on Ethane Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:35:33 EDT (-0400)
  Info on Ethane (Message 9 to 18 of 28)
<<< Previous 8 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Peter Popov
Subject: Re: Info on Ethane
Date: 18 Jul 2000 05:45:35
Message: <1k98nsglkto5j740jsbpjedl9itf9dpooj@4ax.com>
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:52:27 +0200, "Gail Shaw" <gsh### [at] monotixcoza>
wrote:

>Does anyone know, or know where I can find info
>on the physical and optical properties of ethane
>(C2H6) at -178 degrees C and 1.6 atm? It's a liquid
>at that temp and pressure.

>I need the colour, transparency, reflectivity and ior.
>I looked in the newior.inc file, but couldn't find anything.

Can't help you there, Gail. If it were ethanol you needed...
especially solved 2:3 in water with some floral extracts, mmm...

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet

> Does anyone know, or know where I can find info
> on the physical and optical properties of ethane
> (C2H6) at -178 degrees C and 1.6 atm? It's a liquid
> at that temp and pressure.
>
> I need the colour, transparency, reflectivity and ior.
> I looked in the newior.inc file, but couldn't find anything.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gail

Hi Gail.

AFAIK the index of refraction is linked to the density of the
matter. You have to find the density of ethane at the point you
specified and then compared it to the densities and iors you know.
It's an approximation but better then nothing.

Check this:

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/

Marc

--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

>AFAIK the index of refraction is linked to the density of the
>matter. You have to find the density of ethane at the point you
>specified and then compared it to the densities and iors you know.
>It's an approximation but better then nothing.
>
>Check this:
>
>http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/

Nice. Is there a formula relating ior and density of liquid or should
I just guess?

Thanks
Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza              * Reality.dat not found         *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Attempting to reboot universe *
* The best way to accelerate Windows NT is at 9.8 m/s^2      *

> Nice. Is there a formula relating ior and density of liquid or should
> I just guess?

Comparative analysis in your basement laboratory should suffice :)

> >AFAIK the index of refraction is linked to the density of the
> >matter. You have to find the density of ethane at the point you
> >specified and then compared it to the densities and iors you know.
> >It's an approximation but better then nothing.
> >
> >Check this:
> >
> >http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/
> >

> Nice. Is there a formula relating ior and density of liquid or should
> I just guess?
>
> Thanks
> Gail

Try to find two fluids with similiar densities, then try to inter- or
extrapolate the values. It will be hard for somebody to prove that
you are wrong :)

Marc

--
Marc Schimmler

Post a reply to this message

>Try to find two fluids with similiar densities, then try to inter- or
>extrapolate the values. It will be hard for somebody to prove that
>you are wrong :)

Will give that a go. Thanks to all who replied.