POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem using difference with height_field Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Problem using difference with height_field (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Patrick Dugan
Subject: Problem using difference with height_field
Date: 29 Jun 2000 20:20:34
Message: <395be7d2@news.povray.org>
I have a height_field that I want to "carve" out a cone shape.  Whenever I
use the
difference between the height_field & cone it always looks like a union.  In
fact if I use
a union instead it looks the same.  The z scale of the height_field is
pretty flat but it acts as though there is an invisible clear area above it.
Is there no way I can carve out a cone shape from the height_field?  Below
is a sample of the code....

#declare TableTop =
object {
   height_field {
      tga "MetalGrid.tga"
      smooth
      hierarchy on
      translate <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>
      pigment{color red 0 green 0 blue 0.4}
      finish {
         reflection 0.1
         crand 0.02
         ambient 0.1
         diffuse 0.63
         phong 0.2
         phong_size 10
      }

      rotate <90,0,180>
   }
   scale <50, 50, 0.017>
   translate <0,0,1>
   hollow
}

#declare NewTop =
difference {
   object {TableTop}
   cone {<0,0,-0.25>, 0.5 <0,0,0.5>, 0 translate <-2,0,1> texture
{Brushed_Aluminum}}
}

object {NewTop}

Post a reply to this message