POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problem using difference with height_field : Re: Problem using difference with height_field Server Time
9 Aug 2024 15:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem using difference with height_field
From: Ken
Date: 30 Jun 2000 01:26:27
Message: <395C2E86.406B292@pacbell.net>
Patrick Dugan wrote:

> The method left a hollow cone stuck in the HF.  No hole just stuck in there.
> I think I will have to give up.  It sounded like an easy idea and a good
> effect, but seems to difficult to implement.  Thanks for the assistance
> though!

I tried this and it worked fine -

Use this section to create the tests.tga image

/*
camera{location<0,0,-10> look_at 0 orthographic}
light_source{<0,0,-100> rgb 1}

plane{z,0 pigment{rgb 1}normal{bumps 1}}
*/

This is the cone creating a big cone shaped divot in the surface of
the HF object

camera{location<0,2,-2> look_at 0}
light_source{<0,10,-10> rgb 1}

#declare HF =
difference {
             height_field {tga "tests.tga" smooth translate -.5 }
             cone{<0,-1,0>,0,<0,1,0>,.5 open }
           }

object {HF pigment{rgb 1}}