POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lightflow + povray Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Lightflow + povray (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Richard Morton
Subject: Re: Lightflow + povray
Date: 16 Aug 2000 08:43:50
Message: <399AE16F.AE7EBD87@hotmail.removethisbit.com>
Or perhaps buying a kitchen knife with a notice that says that it is OK to use
it for domestic violence but not for contract killings.

Richard Morton wrote:

> It's more like the paintbrush than the paint but the principle does seem
> ridiculous when put that way, e.g. would you buy a wrench that came with a
> tag that said it was OK for personal use but if you used it to build a car,
> then you couldn't ever sell the car.

Post a reply to this message

From: Richard Morton
Date: 16 Aug 2000 08:52:28
Message: <399AE369.70CE61A@hotmail.removethisbit.com>
I don't know about well spotted, you would have to have your eyes closed to
miss the licence agreement conditions. You can't download without reading the
agreement (which is quite short and clear) and agreeing to it's terms.

This seems a perfectly reasonable restriction to me because:
1) It allows the programmer to make money from his efforts if he decides to
license the software commercially, and those paying for the software have the
opportuinity to profit from it.
2) Those of us who cannot justify anything more than the cost of a magazine
cover CD can experience using quality software with no desire to profit from
it.

AOR (Awaits Outraged Responses).

Rick wrote:

> > Be sure to read the licensing for Lightflow, it may hold some
> > surprises. I find that the most limiting aspect is that you are not
> > free to do what you want with the images you render with it. They may
> > not be sold or otherwise used for profit.
>
> well spotted lutz!, you know we all just ignore the licence agreements (or
> never read them!)
>
> Rick

Post a reply to this message