POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PolyRay Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:38:58 EDT (-0400)
  PolyRay (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Rune
Subject: Re: PolyRay
Date: 7 Jul 2000 10:20:11
Message: <3965e71b@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:

> There are two lens flare includes which I know of, and at least one of
> them can do "hiding" of a lens flare behind an object. However, though I
> have installed both of these "plugins", I have never actually used them,
> so I don't really know what I am talking about. :-)

These are rather limited. What I would like to see in POV-Ray is build in
lens flare effects that completely automatically disappears behind objects
(without the user having to specify the objects), becomes dimmer behind
partly transparent objects, shows up correctly in reflections and
refractions, and maybe becomes smaller or dimmer when partly behind an
object (that would be for lens flares what area_lights are for
light_sources). And even with all this functionality, I bet it could be made
faster than the current include files.

Such lens effects cannot be made with include files, but would have to be
build in.

Greetings,

Rune
--
Updated June 12: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,

Post a reply to this message

> These are rather limited. What I would like to see in POV-Ray is
> build in lens flare effects that completely automatically disappears
> behind objects (without the user having to specify the objects),
> becomes dimmer behind partly transparent objects, shows up correctly
> in reflections and refractions, and maybe becomes smaller or dimmer
> when partly behind an object (that would be for lens flares what
> area_lights are for light_sources). And even with all this
> functionality, I bet it could be made faster than the current include
> files.
>
> Such lens effects cannot be made with include files, but would have to be
> build in.

Perhaps a post_process filter would be useful...it could automatically
find the bright points and place lens flares, or it could ignore bright
points and take coordinates for placing flares.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message