POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PolyRay : Re: PolyRay Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PolyRay
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 12 Jul 2000 10:54:10
Message: <396C889A.C8A18C1E@mitre.org>
Bruce L wrote:

> So I suppose it would be far from the realm of reality to suggest/ask
> whether it would be possible for Moray to call POV to render the basic
> scene, but call PolyRay for the NURBS and SubDivs?

You can always do compositing, sometimes with quite nice results.
Esthetically, that just doesn't appeal to me.  I'd rather add code to
POV-Ray (migration of code from Polyray to POV-Ray has happened before).

> So how exactly (or even in-excatly,) would one ask Moray to tell Polyray
> to render a NURBS or SubDiv?

You can't.  In the long term, someone could write a plugin to provide
the appropriate editing capability, or Lutz could add the appropriate
editing to Moray.  At that point you could call the appropriate API
functions in Polyray.  Subdivision surfaces would be pretty easy to do
once Lutz adds polygon mesh editing to Moray.  Just use the mesh as the
control hull of the Subdiv surface.

NURBS editing can be pretty nasty to implement.  Just look at how
popular Rhino is, due in great part to the quality of it's NURBS
editing.  For me, it would be much easier to add NURBS as an object type
to POV-Ray than to do any sort of modelling capability in a front end.

Xander