POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PolyRay : Re: PolyRay Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PolyRay
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 8 Jul 2000 07:10:48
Message: <gr2ems8f5uga0a7d9fpkce6gmba9f4f8h3@4ax.com>
Hi Bruce L, you recently wrote in povray.general:

> So I suppose it would be far from the realm of reality to suggest/ask
> whether it would be possible for Moray to call POV to render the basic
> scene, but call PolyRay for the NURBS and SubDivs?
Hmmm. I think this might be technically possible for Xander to write
as a plugin, although it won't work 100%. There's the problem of
reflected rays and (as you mention) shadows. Apart from that, the
render plugin could make Polyray render something, remember the
resultant image (with alpha channel so you know where the object is,
then call POV with the same scene minus the object, capturing the
pixel output and then merge the first image with the one that POV-Ray
produced. Sounds like overkill to me, though<g>. Might as well make
the Polyray plugin render the whole scene.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray