POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What's wrong with povray? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  What's wrong with povray? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Remco Poelstra
Subject: What's wrong with povray?
Date: 23 Jun 2000 16:13:21
Message: <395419C5.246B9B39@home.nl>
Hi,

I was reading about animating on the internet. There people were talking
about "professional render engines". What's wrong with povray? Does it
mis features for creating real movies? Or is it the way you control it?
Or are these people just defending their investments?

Remco Poelstra

Post a reply to this message

its just a render engine - no modelling and very basic animation.  With
animation you need a good tool to help you get the job done.

"Remco Poelstra" <rjp### [at] homenl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was reading about animating on the internet. There people were talking
> about "professional render engines". What's wrong with povray? Does it
> mis features for creating real movies? Or is it the way you control it?
> Or are these people just defending their investments?
>
> Remco Poelstra

Post a reply to this message

> its just a render engine - no modelling and very basic animation.  With
> animation you need a good tool to help you get the job done.
>
> "Remco Poelstra" <rjp### [at] homenl> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was reading about animating on the internet. There people were talking
> > about "professional render engines". What's wrong with povray? Does it
> > mis features for creating real movies? Or is it the way you control it?
> > Or are these people just defending their investments?
> >
> > Remco Poelstra

Post a reply to this message

> I was reading about animating on the internet. There people were talking
> about "professional render engines". What's wrong with povray? Does it
> mis features for creating real movies? Or is it the way you control it?
> Or are these people just defending their investments?

Yes, it misses many things that are necessary in movie production;
however, most 3D packages (includuing hi-end ones) misses such features
too, and only a very few programs are useable for movies.

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

"Fabien Mosen" <fab### [at] skynetbe> wrote in message
| Remco Poelstra wrote:
| > I was reading about animating on the internet. There people were talking
| > about "professional render engines". What's wrong with povray? Does it
| > mis features for creating real movies? Or is it the way you control it?
| > Or are these people just defending their investments?
|
| Yes, it misses many things that are necessary in movie production;
| however, most 3D packages (includuing hi-end ones) misses such features
| too, and only a very few programs are useable for movies.

A ray tracer like POV-Ray isn't used much, if at all, anyhow.  Just scan-line
renderers and such, from what I hear or read anyhow.  Speed is of the essence
even when using high-end hardware equipment.

Bob

Post a reply to this message