POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray page design ? Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  New POV-Ray page design ? (Message 1 to 10 of 106)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: New POV-Ray page design ?
Date: 17 Jun 2000 16:30:22
Message: <394BDF7F.1493C91@inapg.inra.fr>
Just went to the POV-Ray page looking for links, and it happens to have
a new design !
It looks like it's still a work in progress. I hope that there will be
new things in the "under construction pages".
First remarks:
- It certainly loads faster (javascript gone) which is better.
- I'm not too happy with the colours which are a tad dark, and with the
Poser girl, which I find too Poseresque (that hair, ahem..) and not a
good demo for the mapping abilities that should be in Povray 3.5.
What do people think ?
G.

Post a reply to this message

I certainly agree about the girl, but then if youre not a Pover maybe she'll
be an attraction!

Mick

"Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote in message
news:394### [at] inapginrafr...
> Just went to the POV-Ray page looking for links, and it happens to have
> a new design !
> It looks like it's still a work in progress. I hope that there will be
> new things in the "under construction pages".
> First remarks:
> - It certainly loads faster (javascript gone) which is better.
> - I'm not too happy with the colours which are a tad dark, and with the
> Poser girl, which I find too Poseresque (that hair, ahem..) and not a
> good demo for the mapping abilities that should be in Povray 3.5.
> What do people think ?
> G.

Post a reply to this message

It's too small on my 1280x1024. Can't the website's size be relative to
the user settings, like it was before?

Remco Poelstra

Post a reply to this message

> Just went to the POV-Ray page looking for links, and it happens
> to have a new design !

At last something is happening!
I mean, at last something is happening that we can see!

> It looks like it's still a work in progress. I hope that there
> will be new things in the "under construction pages".

Yes.

> First remarks:
> - It certainly loads faster (javascript gone) which is better.
> - I'm not too happy with the colours which are a tad dark,

I agree. Also, I think the background color should be a lot brighter. In my
opinion dark text on bright background always look more professional than
bright text on dark background...

> and with the Poser girl, which I find too Poseresque (that
> hair, ahem..) and not a good demo for the mapping abilities
> that should be in Povray 3.5.

I agree.

> What do people think ?

Hmm, I must admit I think the design is quite unoriginal. For example the
menu to the left could easily be made more interesting without loosing
speed, nor user-friendliness.

Also, the 3D Links Collection design is horrible (sorry)! My screen
resolution is 800x600 and I have to scroll horizontally left and right all
the time just to be able to read the text! That's one of the worst things
you can do when talking about web-design, I think. (Again, sorry!)

I'm sorry, but as the design is right now I don't think it's an improvement
compared to the old design, but then, I guess it's still under development.

Hope you don't mind me being honest!

Greetings,

Rune

--
Updated June 12: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
3D images, include files, stereograms, tutorials,

Post a reply to this message

How about replacing the girl with a POV mascot?  It could demonstrate
features of POV-Ray.  The girl is not a very good mascot for POV.
Brendan Ryan

Gilles Tran wrote:

> Just went to the POV-Ray page looking for links, and it happens to have
> a new design !
> It looks like it's still a work in progress. I hope that there will be
> new things in the "under construction pages".
> First remarks:
> - It certainly loads faster (javascript gone) which is better.
> - I'm not too happy with the colours which are a tad dark, and with the
> Poser girl, which I find too Poseresque (that hair, ahem..) and not a
> good demo for the mapping abilities that should be in Povray 3.5.
> What do people think ?
> G.

Post a reply to this message

And it's too big on my 800x600. That's much worse!

> Can't the website's size be relative to
> the user settings, like it was before?

I too think it should be so. All websites should, and luckily, most are.

Greetings,

Rune