POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: Submission formats? Server Time
17 May 2024 22:05:31 EDT (-0400)
  PLC: Submission formats? (Message 44 to 53 of 73)
From: Fabien Hénon
Subject: Re: PLC: Submission formats?
Date: 18 May 2000 18:30:09
Message: <39246E45.E50C9B32@club-internet.fr>
Ok, I will repost it in plain text then ( when I read 'redudant' I
understood twice)
Too bad, using bold and italic was very useful.

> No, he meant that you have your news program is set up to post in
> HTML format rather than plain text. This was obvious by the bold
> fonts used in your message. Not all news readers are capable of
> decoding HTML posts automatically and it makes them difficult to
> read. HTML posts also comsume more space on the news server and
> space on this news server is not unlimited like it is on USENET
> or other corporate sponsored news servers.

I think the best way to determine the sizes and colors of the logos is to
know where and how they
are going to be used.

Is the logo going to be used to start POV as an application ?
-> a 16 x 16 and a 32 x 32 colored icon is best suited. This one should
display only the symbol.
There is no space for lettering.
The 16 x 16 is needed in windows to start the applications.
The 32 x 32 is the average size for icons on desktop ( Linux and windows). I
think Mac and Amiga
users have about the same needs.

Is the logo be displayed on the POV-Ray Homepage ?
-> any full-color logo with about 128 x 128 pixels should do. But in this
case, it should be up to the
'logo designer' to decide how large the original size should be and if the
logo should be square or
not. Any large image can be downsized to about 128 x 128 and still be easily
recognizable.

Is the logo meant to be used for Web pages ( ie : comparing render stats or
pictures between
POV and BMRT, or links to tutorials or the POV Homepage) ?
-> a size between 32 and 64 pixels should do. There again, a webmaster can
easily downsize a
64 x 64 logo to 32 x 32. That's why I would stick to a 64 x 64 logo (
upsizing a 32 logo to 64 would
ruin it).

Is the logo to be inserted in one corner of pictures as a 'made with POV'
scheme?
-> a black and white version of the 32 x 32 icon with the symbol should be
fine. A 32 x 32 logo may
look large on some pictures but it can be downsized. And there again, it's
up to the designer to
decide if it should be square or not.

To sum up, I think the following formats for the 'contest' should be :

to 16 to suit needs)
[Application starter].

colors and lettering,...and
whatever you can think of for banners and the homepage is POVadmin agrees.
This is one to be
downsized to about 128 pixels [Banner and Homepage]

Tell me what you think, but my opinion is that we should know beforehand how
the logo is going to
be used to know where we are going.

Post a reply to this message