POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D-to-2D-transformation Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:39:18 EDT (-0400)
  3D-to-2D-transformation (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Marc Koester
Subject: 3D-to-2D-transformation
Date: 12 May 2000 15:11:43
Message: <391c576f@news.povray.org>
Dear readers and writers,

I very hope that you can help me, because I develope in a project which must be ready
within 2 days.
It would give me a very happy smile if you could try to help me, please.

The matter is quit simple, but the solution is difficult:

An advertisment-paper must be dropped on a globe-building (globe1.jpg).

1. step:
To render the prints, I need to map a 2D-texture (globe3.jpg) to a sphere (spherical
mapping).

The printer is able to print long stripes (about 2meter width,30meter height),
which will be layed over the building. The result is globe2.jpg.

2. step:
After mapping I need to cut and re-map the sphere into 2D-stripes from pole to pole to
get printable.
So I have to transform 36 stripes from 3D into 2D-print-textures.

Please help me in step 2:
How do I re-map the 3D-texture into 2D-stripes and which is the best software to
achieve this task?
So you know of any good tutorials on internet which covers my questions?

Thank you very much for your time !!

Aachen, Germany

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'globe1.jpg' (17 KB) Download 'globe2.jpg' (14 KB) Download 'globe3.jpg' (11 KB)

Preview of image 'globe1.jpg'
globe1.jpg

Preview of image 'globe2.jpg'
globe2.jpg