POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Happy Birthday POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Happy Birthday POV-Ray (Message 41 to 43 of 43)
From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday POV-Ray
Date: 13 May 2000 15:29:16
Message: <391D9F3B.AD217E28@peak.edu.ee>
TonyB wrote:

> >Gesellschaft - company
>
> "Gemeinschaft". What does that mean? I saw it in my sociology book.

Union, community, collective, etc.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee

From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 May 2000 19:47:49
Message: <chrishuff_99-F36C7C.18511413052000@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] tealhhjpat>,
hjp### [at] SiKituwsracat (Peter J. Holzer) wrote:

> Fahrt		- passage

Err...

> The Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft (DDSG for short) really exists.
> Building even longer words from that is a favorite sport among Autrian
> school children (or at least it was when I was 10 or so).
> Austrian bureaucrats are of course even more successful at building long
> words. A few months ago I read about some regulation with a similar
> length as my "DDSG captain's visor color regulation". Unfortunately I
> can't remember what it was about.

It sounds like German simply has a looser definition of "word". In
english, that would simply be divided up into each of it's parts, and
the whole called a "title" or something, while in German the words seem
to be concatenated into one with little or no modification.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/

Post a reply to this message