POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : is it true ??? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:27:27 EDT (-0400)
  is it true ??? (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: is it true ???
Date: 2 May 2000 12:29:43
Message: <390f0277@news.povray.org>
In article <390de9b0@news.povray.org> , "Jan Walzer"
<wal### [at] informatikuni-hallede> wrote:

> Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.02.SunOS.gcc
>   This is an official version prepared by the POV-Ray Team(tm).  See the
>     documentation on how to contact the authors or post a message on
>     CompuServe's GO POVRAY Forum.  Also visit http://www.povray.org.
> Copyright 1997 POV-Ray Team(tm)

The current official version of POV-Ray is 3.1g, but as pointed out by
others, there is currently no official compile of 3.1 for SunOS.

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

From: Jan Walzer
Date: 2 May 2000 15:34:47
Message: <390f2dd7@news.povray.org>
> According to my links there is source available for MegaPov that is
> made to be compatible for SunSolaris.
>
> http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/graphics/povaddon/

Hmmm .. seems your link it not what it is ought to be ...
There are some inc-files, but no link to the sources for Sun ...

OK ... but I'll try to take the megapov-sources (for sun) and compile it ...
My colleagues (is this the right spelling???) should be able to help me on
probs of compiling ... (The only thing would be my quotas [greetz to my
admin]) ..

On problems I'll post again ...

Post a reply to this message

From: Jan Walzer
Date: 2 May 2000 15:37:28
Message: <390f2e78$1@news.povray.org>
>   If you don't know how to compile the program, I can send you the SunOS
> binary (compiled by myself).

If you have a compile of the current MegaPov compilation it would be nice to
get it
at <mailto://jan.w@lzer.net>

Of course give me a try on your "special"-version too....

Thanx ...

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 2 May 2000 16:06:32
Message: <390F34D1.B4AF3E39@pacbell.net>
Jan Walzer wrote:

> > According to my links there is source available for MegaPov that is
> > made to be compatible for SunSolaris.
> >
> > http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/graphics/povaddon/
> >
> Hmmm .. seems your link it not what it is ought to be ...
> There are some inc-files, but no link to the sources for Sun ...

My link is everything it is supposed to be. The problem appears to be
with MSIE . The download appears in Netscape but when I checked the
page in Explorer the bottom of the page is missing. The direct link
to the download is listed below if you want to give that a try -

http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/graphics/povaddon/megapov4.src.tar.gz

From: Jan Walzer
Date: 2 May 2000 16:46:19
Message: <390f3e9b@news.povray.org>
> > > According to my links there is source available for MegaPov that is
> > > made to be compatible for SunSolaris.
> > >
> > > http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/graphics/povaddon/
> > >
> > Hmmm .. seems your link it not what it is ought to be ...
> > There are some inc-files, but no link to the sources for Sun ...
>
> My link is everything it is supposed to be. The problem appears to be
> with MSIE . The download appears in Netscape but when I checked the
> page in Explorer the bottom of the page is missing. The direct link
> to the download is listed below if you want to give that a try -

http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/graphics/povaddon/megapov4.src.tar.
gz

ahh ... thanX ... it's another strange thing with M$ ... now, I got the file
.. but I'll try it to compile the next days ...

so far ...

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter J  Holzer
Date: 2 May 2000 18:01:12
Message: <slrn8guj0g.jgf.hjp-usenet@teal.h.hjp.at>
On Tue, 02 May 2000 11:29:28 -0500, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>The current official version of POV-Ray is 3.1g, but as pointed out by
>others, there is currently no official compile of 3.1 for SunOS.

What are the requirements for an official compile? Does one member of
POV team need access to that platform, so that he can debug the program?
Or do you accept "donated" binaries? If the former, maybe you could
provide links to unofficial binaries.

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Nicht an Tueren mangelt es,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | sondern an der Einrichtung (aka Content).
| |   | hjp### [at] wsracat      |    -- Ale### [at] univieacat
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |       zum Thema Portale in at.linux

Post a reply to this message

From: Peter Popov
Date: 2 May 2000 19:10:11
Message: <5dnugss41ktooat4kn0rlg6f1faoef55cf@4ax.com>
On Tue, 2 May 2000 23:43:44 +0200, hjp### [at] SiKituwsracat (Peter
J. Holzer) wrote:

>What are the requirements for an official compile? Does one member of
>POV team need access to that platform, so that he can debug the program?
>Or do you accept "donated" binaries? If the former, maybe you could
>provide links to unofficial binaries.

Not speaking for the TAG or the Team, I think it's safer the way it is
now because even with a million disclaimers someone will seek official
support from the Team just because one saw the unofficial compile
linked from POV-Ray org.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 May 2000 20:35:00
Message: <390f7434$1@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] tealhhjpat> ,
hjp### [at] SiKituwsracat (Peter J. Holzer) wrote:

> What are the requirements for an official compile? Does one member of
> POV team need access to that platform, so that he can debug the program?

Yes.

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 3 May 2000 04:06:55
Message: <qqmu2ggjbvl.fsf@schlatt.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> writes:

> Jan Walzer wrote:
> >
> > > According to my links there is source available for MegaPov that is
> > > made to be compatible for SunSolaris.
> > >
> > > http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm/graphics/povaddon/
> > >
> > Hmmm .. seems your link it not what it is ought to be ...
> > There are some inc-files, but no link to the sources for Sun ...
>
> My link is everything it is supposed to be. The problem appears to be
> with MSIE . The download appears in Netscape but when I checked the
> page in Explorer the bottom of the page is missing. The direct link
> to the download is listed below if you want to give that a try -

I have corrected some minor HTML errors on this page. Please write me,
if there are still problems. (It now works fine for a colleague who uses
M$ Internet Explorer.)

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jan Walzer
Date: 4 May 2000 19:24:42
Message: <391206ba@news.povray.org>
Thomas Willhalm <tho### [at] willhalmde> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
qqm### [at] schlattfmiuni-konstanzde...
> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> writes:

> > > Hmmm .. seems your link it not what it is ought to be ...
> > > There are some inc-files, but no link to the sources for Sun ...
> >
> > My link is everything it is supposed to be. The problem appears to be
> > with MSIE . The download appears in Netscape but when I checked the
> > page in Explorer the bottom of the page is missing. The direct link
> > to the download is listed below if you want to give that a try -
>
> I have corrected some minor HTML errors on this page. Please write me,
> if there are still problems. (It now works fine for a colleague who uses
> M$ Internet Explorer.)
>
> Thomas
I think it will work now with this link ...

Of course ... After configuring the makefile the Sources compiled fine, and
I had no further problems to use it ..

I wrote a shellscript to use the multiprocessors for tracing an animation ..
My first try made my Root angry ... I started 50 processes at the same time
(Load average up to 42.3) ...
The I did some changes, and I'll hope it will not run more than 10 processes
A first try with an animation in a low-res worked fine but I'll see what
will happen in High-res ...

OK ... Thanks again ... so far my report ...
If there are some better suggestions for this I'll be happy to hear from ...

CU