POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: General qualities of the logo. Server Time
24 Apr 2024 16:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  PLC: General qualities of the logo. (Message 1 to 10 of 45)
From: Rune
Subject: PLC: General qualities of the logo.
Date: 30 Apr 2000 11:00:17
Message: <390c4a81@news.povray.org>
PLC = POV-Ray Logo Competition.

Which general qualities should the logo have?
Should it be simple or detailed?
This seems to be the subject everyone wants to discuss, so let's discuss it
now although it was scheduled to be discussed at a later time.

In an attempt at starting this discussion I have tried to answer a question
raised by Ken:

Ken wrote:
> In an electronic computer environment like
> POV-Ray and the WWW why would you bother
> with a low resolution version of a logo ?
> I personally do not see the benefit. I
> mean if we were creating a logo for
> illustrator or some other print based
> program I could see a reason for it but
> not in a computer graphics related industry.

Firstly, there are many cases where you would want a low resolution of the
logo, for example for in icon, which is just 32*32 pixels, or on those tiny
banners you put on websites (POV-Ray 3 NOW!).

Secondly, the reason the logo should be simple is not just that it must be
suitable for small resolutions, but also that a simple logo is more
flexible. You can always add detail to a simple logo. A simple logo could be
presented in 2D versions, 3D versions, you could make it glow, burn, rotate,
and all kind of stuff, and still it would be the same logo. It is not as
easy to remove details from a detailed logo, because the details would be a
part of the logo, and thus unremovable. You would simply not know how many
details you could remove before it was not the same logo anymore.

As far as I have understood TonyB, Fabien Mosen, ddombrow, and others agree
with this, or at least something close, while Ken and some others don't
agree. Is that correct? What is the opinions of others? Please keep on
discussing!

Again I must point out that those who don't join the discussion cannot at a
later stage complain about the conclusions reached. So if you have any
opinion please reply. Reply even if
your opinion has already been stated by somebody else. That way we might be
able to see a general tendency.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,

> Firstly, there are many cases where you would want a low resolution of the
> logo, for example for in icon, which is just 32*32 pixels, or on those tiny
> banners you put on websites (POV-Ray 3 NOW!).

Don't confuse a logo competition with an icon competition. They are not
the same thing and have two totally different intended purposes.