POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Map Tutorial? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Image Map Tutorial? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Chris Spencer
Subject: Image Map Tutorial?
Date: 3 Apr 2000 10:06:18
Message: <38e8a55a$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Is there any general image map tutorial / general strategies on placing
image maps on complicated objects?  I've found it quite difficult making a
transparent .gif, finding the transparent color so the base texture can be
seen, and then scaling and placing the image on the object to make this
"decal" effect look plausible.

Thanks,
-Chris-

Post a reply to this message

> Is there any general image map tutorial / general strategies on placing
> image maps on complicated objects?  I've found it quite difficult making a
> transparent .gif, finding the transparent color so the base texture can be
> seen, and then scaling and placing the image on the object to make this
> "decal" effect look plausible.

Make an orthographic render perpendicular to the image map and use it as a
base to edit the map.

--
___     _______________________________________________
 | \     |_          <dav### [at] faricynet> <ICQ 55354965>
 |_/avid |ontaine        http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad." -Dali

Post a reply to this message

Thanks for the reply, but you lost me.  I searched the POV help file but  I
couldn't find a good description or implementation of an orthographic
camera.  How would this help placing an image map?

-Chris-

> Chris Spencer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any general image map tutorial / general strategies on placing
> > image maps on complicated objects?  I've found it quite difficult making
> > transparent .gif, finding the transparent color so the base texture can
be
> > seen, and then scaling and placing the image on the object to make this
> > "decal" effect look plausible.
>
> Make an orthographic render perpendicular to the image map and use it as a
> base to edit the map.

Post a reply to this message