POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Map Tutorial? : Re: Image Map Tutorial? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 01:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Map Tutorial?
From: Chris Spencer
Date: 6 Apr 2000 08:11:45
Message: <38ec7f01@news.povray.org>
> > Thanks for the reply, but you lost me.  I searched the POV help file but
> > I couldn't find a good description or implementation of an
> > orthographic camera.
>
> Section 4.4.2 "Types of Projection", in the manual. Not a real great
> explanation, though. Also look at section 2.4.4.1 "Understanding The
> Concept of Splines". That part of the tutorial has a short "spline
> workshop" scene that includes an example of the orthographic camera.
> And check out this demo scene:
> POV-Ray:Scenes:camera:camera1b.pov
>

> > How would this help placing an image map?
>
> It doesn't really help in placing one, just in designing one and placing
> the details. Well, it might help get the alignment right...
> The idea is you render an image with the orthographic camera, and then
> use that image to place the details on the image map. The image map is
> projected like the orthographic camera by default, so you just have to
> scale/translate it to the same position and size as the camera was.
>
> To make a decal, take a view along one axis with the orthographic
> camera, "paint" on the rendered image, making the overlay, and then
> apply that image as the decal using an image_map.

Ok, I understand everything up until the the part when I have to
scale/translate the image to the position corresponding to the ortho
camera's position.  Thanks for the help with the camera.

Here's my code, the maped texture is labeled ImagemapTex:

#include "colors.inc"

background { color <1.000,1.000,1.000> }

// lights

light_source {   // Light1
  <200.000, 200.000, 200.000>
  color rgb <1.000, 1.000, 1.000>
}

light_source {   // Light2
  <-10.000, 8.000, 100.000>
  color rgb <1.000, 1.000, 1.000>
}

// camera, side view

  #declare Angle = 30;

  camera {  //  Camera SpotCam001
  // orthographic
  location  < 0,  50, 0>
  sky       < 0,  0,  1> // Use right handed-system
  up        < 0,  0,  1> //< 0,  0,  1*25> //  For orthographic camera
  right     <4/3, 0.0, 0.0> //<4/3*25, 0.0, 0.0> //       For orthographic
camera
  angle         Angle
  look_at   < 0,  0,  0>
        }

// textures

#declare ImagemapTex =
  texture{
    pigment {
      color Blue
      }
    finish{
      ambient 0
     }
    }
  texture{
    pigment{
      image_map{
        png "decal_rombot_nametag01.png" // the file to read
(iff/gif/tga/png/sys)
        map_type 0 // 0=planar, 1=spherical, 2=cylindrical, 5=torus
        interpolate 0 // 0=none, 1=linear, 2=bilinear, 4=normalized distance
        // [filter N V] // N=all or color index # (0...N), V= value
(0.0...1.0)
        // [transmit N V] // N=all or color index # (0...N), V= value
(0.0...1.0)
        // [use_color | use_index]
        once
        // image_map
        }
        // rotate <0,50,0> translate <0,50,0> ??? <--- I think this is where
I need help.
       }
      }

// objects

plane
{
  z, // <X Y Z> unit surface normal, vector points "away from surface"
  -10.0 // distance from the origin in the direction of the surface normal
  texture { pigment { checker color rgb <1.0, 1.0, 1.0> color rgb <0.0, 0.0,
}

sphere
{
  <0, 0, 0> // center of sphere <X Y Z>