POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rhino to pov-ray exports Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  rhino to pov-ray exports (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: daishi
Subject: rhino to pov-ray exports
Date: 21 Mar 2000 21:15:45
Message: <38D82B19.C89AF1D7@x-press.net>
the current scene I am building is in rhino and is about 1mb, but when I
export to pov ray it increases the 97mb of files

I was wondering if there was someway to reduce the file sizes without
loosing geometry (either in rhino or pov-ray)

I can't seem to parse all the files, I think its cause I only have 128mb
of ram on my machine (which is going to be upgraded to 384 here shortly,
but I'd rather not have to wait)

are there any unoffcial versions of pov-ray that support something other
then pov-ray's triangle mesh?

thanks for the advice

Post a reply to this message

Maybe use the Mesh Compressor to reduce the size.  It's here:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/pcm.html

Bob

"daishi" <das### [at] x-pressnet> wrote in message
| the current scene I am building is in rhino and is about 1mb, but when I
| export to pov ray it increases the 97mb of files
|
| I was wondering if there was someway to reduce the file sizes without
| loosing geometry (either in rhino or pov-ray)
|
| I can't seem to parse all the files, I think its cause I only have 128mb
| of ram on my machine (which is going to be upgraded to 384 here shortly,
| but I'd rather not have to wait)
|
| are there any unoffcial versions of pov-ray that support something other
| then pov-ray's triangle mesh?
|
| thanks for the advice

Post a reply to this message

thanks this is just what I was looking for

Bob Hughes wrote:

> Maybe use the Mesh Compressor to reduce the size.  It's here:
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/pcm.html
>
> Bob
>
> "daishi" <das### [at] x-pressnet> wrote in message
> | the current scene I am building is in rhino and is about 1mb, but when I
> | export to pov ray it increases the 97mb of files
> |
> | I was wondering if there was someway to reduce the file sizes without
> | loosing geometry (either in rhino or pov-ray)
> |
> | I can't seem to parse all the files, I think its cause I only have 128mb
> | of ram on my machine (which is going to be upgraded to 384 here shortly,
> | but I'd rather not have to wait)
> |
> | are there any unoffcial versions of pov-ray that support something other
> | then pov-ray's triangle mesh?
> |
> | thanks for the advice

Post a reply to this message

> the current scene I am building is in rhino and is about 1mb, but when I
> export to pov ray it increases the 97mb of files
>
> I was wondering if there was someway to reduce the file sizes without
> loosing geometry (either in rhino or pov-ray)
>
> I can't seem to parse all the files, I think its cause I only have 128mb
> of ram on my machine (which is going to be upgraded to 384 here shortly,
> but I'd rather not have to wait)
>
> are there any unoffcial versions of pov-ray that support something other
> then pov-ray's triangle mesh?
>
> thanks for the advice

One option is to export in 3DS format and convert it with 3DS2POV
(win3ds2pov.exe) to POV-Ray mesh2 format. This mesh2 format is supported
by superpatch and megapatch and it will result in smaller files.
Additional benefit is the fact, that this way all the uv information
from Rhino is retained and you can have uv-mapping in POV-Ray.
For links go to the www.povray.org links section, I believe that links
to all mentioned tools are there.

Post a reply to this message