POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Terrain Texturing? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Terrain Texturing? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Chris Spencer
Subject: Terrain Texturing?
Date: 14 Feb 2000 21:49:12
Message: <38a8bea8@news.povray.org>
Hi,

How can I place grass on a heightfield or distribute objects over hlly
terrains such as grass, trees, etc...?

 Thanks,
-Chris-

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Terrain Texturing?
Date: 14 Feb 2000 21:57:18
Message: <38A8BE62.853501C4@pacbell.net>
Chris Spencer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I place grass on a heightfield or distribute objects over hlly
> terrains such as grass, trees, etc...?

1.) The MegaPov patched version of POV-Ray has a feature called trace()
    that can be used to do this place it also offers slope dependent
    textures. The two combined can be used effectively for realistic
    object placement and terrain texturing.

    MegaPov 0.4 - http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

2.) A height field modelling program called Leveller has a neat feature
    that will allow you to select an area of a HF and export coordinates
    that relate to hight positions on the HF's surface. This makes it
    easy to accurately place objects only on those areas of the HF you
    want them on.

    Leveller - http://www.daylongraphics.com/

>> How can I place grass on a heightfield or distribute objects over hlly
>> terrains such as grass, trees, etc...?
>
>1.) The MegaPov patched version of POV-Ray has a feature called trace()
>    that can be used to do this place it also offers slope dependent
>    textures. The two combined can be used effectively for realistic
>    object placement and terrain texturing.
>
>    MegaPov 0.4 - http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm
>

>2.) A height field modelling program called Leveller has a neat feature
>    that will allow you to select an area of a HF and export coordinates
>    that relate to hight positions on the HF's surface. This makes it
>    easy to accurately place objects only on those areas of the HF you
>    want them on.
>
>    Leveller - http://www.daylongraphics.com/

Additionally, see
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Program/9231/povray.html for an
include file designed to do this.

Mark

Post a reply to this message

>>> How can I place grass on a heightfield or distribute objects over hlly
>>> terrains such as grass, trees, etc...?
>>
>>1.) The MegaPov patched version of POV-Ray has a feature called trace()
>>    that can be used to do this place it also offers slope dependent
>>    textures. The two combined can be used effectively for realistic
>>    object placement and terrain texturing.
>>
>>    MegaPov 0.4 - http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm
>>

>>2.) A height field modelling program called Leveller has a neat feature
>>    that will allow you to select an area of a HF and export coordinates
>>    that relate to hight positions on the HF's surface. This makes it
>>    easy to accurately place objects only on those areas of the HF you
>>    want them on.
>>
>>    Leveller - http://www.daylongraphics.com/
>

>Additionally, see
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Program/9231/povray.html for an