POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Energy conservation for diffuse lighting? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Energy conservation for diffuse lighting? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Energy conservation for diffuse lighting?
Date: 24 Mar 2000 15:05:38
Message: <38DBCBB4.C1D38A54@unforgettable.com>
Seems to me that the higher an object's reflection is, the less its
pigment should have any effect on its appearance (provided that you're
using non-metallic reflection), until you reach reflection 1, at which
point the pigment would cease to be relevant.

However, this isn't the case in POV-Ray. An RGB 1 object with reflection
1 ends up being unrealistically bright, which is fine for special
effects I suppose, but bad if you're trying to model realistic
materials.. and unfortunately, lowering the diffuse finish only works
with constant reflection; those using Fresnel reflection are out of
luck. The conserve_energy keyword in the MegaPatch only affects the
amount of light that's transmitted through an object and not the diffuse lighting.

So this is sort of a combination question/feature request: Am I right in
thinking that light works this way and that it's a problem, and if so,
is anyone willing to hack this feature in? I'd do it myself, except my
programming skills are pretty rusty, and I wouldn't know what numbers to crunch.

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

Post a reply to this message

> Seems to me that the higher an object's reflection is, the less its
> pigment should have any effect on its appearance (provided that you're
> using non-metallic reflection), until you reach reflection 1, at which
> point the pigment would cease to be relevant.

What's wrong with using:

#declare _refl = 0.3;	// change this
#declare _diff = (1-_refl);
:
:
finish
{
   diffuse _diff;
   reflection _refl;
}?

This is, what I use if I want to have "physically" correct
surfaces.

Markus

Post a reply to this message

> > Seems to me that the higher an object's reflection is, the less its
> > pigment should have any effect on its appearance (provided that you're
> > using non-metallic reflection), until you reach reflection 1, at which
> > point the pigment would cease to be relevant.
>
> What's wrong with using:
>
> #declare _refl = 0.3;   // change this
> #declare _diff = (1-_refl);

It's clumsy.

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

Post a reply to this message

> > > Seems to me that the higher an object's reflection is, the less its
> > > pigment should have any effect on its appearance (provided that you're
> > > using non-metallic reflection), until you reach reflection 1, at which
> > > point the pigment would cease to be relevant.
> >
> > What's wrong with using:
> >
> > #declare _refl = 0.3;   // change this
> > #declare _diff = (1-_refl);
>
> It's clumsy.

...and, I forgot to add, it doesn't work at all for variable reflection.

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

Post a reply to this message