POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Curmudgeon for 2000 Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Curmudgeon for 2000 (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Jim Kress
Subject: Curmudgeon for 2000
Date: 2 Mar 2000 01:34:45
Message: <38be0b85$1@news.povray.org>
Since I seem to do this once a year, I guess it's time again.

Why do people insist on posting 100MB (or larger) images in
povray.binaries.images?  I know we all want to display our work in graphic
detail (pun intended) but do we really need to post such large images.

The reason I ask, in part, is because I have a bandwidth challenged
connection to the internet (as do many of us, I believe).  Some of the large
postings sound interesting but are not worth the large download times for us
bandwidth challenged people.  So, the contributions of these people just
don't get as much attention (or no attention) as those in the 50K to 80K
postings.

I've noticed that some people post reasonably sized images here and then
provide a link to the whopper scale image file located at their site.  This
would seem a more reasonable way to proceed, IMHO.

I guess the bottom line (to me) is if you want people to view your work you
might want to consider posting it at a reasonable size (say less than 100Mb)
and then provide a link to the whopper scaled (1600 x 1024 with 32 bit
color) version at you site.

Anybody else agree or should I just shut up and go away?

--
Jim

Check out my web site  http://www.kressworks.com/

Post a reply to this message