POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a wet height field Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  a wet height field (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Nick Portelli
Subject: a wet height field
Date: 10 Feb 2000 15:39:59
Message: <38A322D5.E454418@pilot.msu.edu>
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a height field looks like it
has standing water on it?  I took an output from leveller that went
throught the erode filter.  I want the ruts to be filled with water.  I
can't use a waterline because all of the ruts are at different heights.
I tried using two height fields but I am unsure on how exactly to do
it.  For example I want water to be on the bottom of a crater and I want
water running down the side of the crater.  Has anyone done this?  I
have a hard time explaining myself so hopefully someone will understand.

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a height field looks like it
> has standing water on it?  I took an output from leveller that went
> throught the erode filter.  I want the ruts to be filled with water.  I
> can't use a waterline because all of the ruts are at different heights.
> I tried using two height fields but I am unsure on how exactly to do
> it.  For example I want water to be on the bottom of a crater and I want
> water running down the side of the crater.  Has anyone done this?  I
> have a hard time explaining myself so hopefully someone will understand.

What about making two heightfields, one with ruts and one without, but
otherwise identical. By translating the smooth one down a bit, it will only
be visible in the ruts of the upper field.

Not an ideal situation, but it may work...

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:43:01 -0500, Nick Portelli
<por### [at] pilotmsuedu> wrote:

>Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a height field looks like it
>has standing water on it?  I took an output from leveller that went
>throught the erode filter.  I want the ruts to be filled with water.  I
>can't use a waterline because all of the ruts are at different heights.
>I tried using two height fields but I am unsure on how exactly to do
>it.  For example I want water to be on the bottom of a crater and I want
>water running down the side of the crater.  Has anyone done this?  I
>have a hard time explaining myself so hopefully someone will understand.

Make a height field in Leveller and save it. Erode it and save it
under a different name. Now, in your scene, overlap them (move the
non-eroded one a little down, say 0.0001*y). Give the eroded HF a
ground or rock texture and the smooth one a water texture. This should
do the trick.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 00:08:54 +0200, Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet>
wrote:

>Make a height field in Leveller and save it. Erode it and save it
>under a different name. Now, in your scene, overlap them (move the
>non-eroded one a little down, say 0.0001*y). Give the eroded HF a
>ground or rock texture and the smooth one a water texture. This should
>do the trick.

Oh man, gotta love off-line reading! Simon has already answered in the
exact same way. D'oh.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

HF-Lab should be able to do that for you. If you are already working
with leveller, you can get the HF-Lab plugin. The relavent command is
"fill n" where n is the number of cycles (try about 50 for starters).

Abe

Nick Portelli wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a height field looks like it
> has standing water on it?  I took an output from leveller that went
> throught the erode filter.  I want the ruts to be filled with water.  I
> can't use a waterline because all of the ruts are at different heights.
> I tried using two height fields but I am unsure on how exactly to do
> it.  For example I want water to be on the bottom of a crater and I want
> water running down the side of the crater.  Has anyone done this?  I
> have a hard time explaining myself so hopefully someone will understand.

Post a reply to this message

I tried that.  But it does not work very well.  I eroded the one height
field.  The other one is not eroded and not the same, the heights are
different.  So just translating down does not produce very good results.

Simon de Vet wrote:

> Nick Portelli wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a height field looks like it
> > has standing water on it?  I took an output from leveller that went
> > throught the erode filter.  I want the ruts to be filled with water.  I
> > can't use a waterline because all of the ruts are at different heights.
> > I tried using two height fields but I am unsure on how exactly to do
> > it.  For example I want water to be on the bottom of a crater and I want
> > water running down the side of the crater.  Has anyone done this?  I
> > have a hard time explaining myself so hopefully someone will understand.
>
> What about making two heightfields, one with ruts and one without, but
> otherwise identical. By translating the smooth one down a bit, it will only
> be visible in the ruts of the upper field.
>
> Not an ideal situation, but it may work...

Post a reply to this message

fill n huh?  I have not bothered to read the HF-lab stuff.  I will try
that.  The lowering of one HF does not work all that well.