POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a wet height field : Re: a wet height field Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a wet height field
From: Peter Popov
Date: 10 Feb 2000 17:10:32
Message: <xzOjOOwlEK8gP47OlgswqsOZViRh@4ax.com>
On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:43:01 -0500, Nick Portelli
<por### [at] pilotmsuedu> wrote:

>Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a height field looks like it
>has standing water on it?  I took an output from leveller that went
>throught the erode filter.  I want the ruts to be filled with water.  I
>can't use a waterline because all of the ruts are at different heights.
>I tried using two height fields but I am unsure on how exactly to do
>it.  For example I want water to be on the bottom of a crater and I want
>water running down the side of the crater.  Has anyone done this?  I
>have a hard time explaining myself so hopefully someone will understand.

Make a height field in Leveller and save it. Erode it and save it
under a different name. Now, in your scene, overlap them (move the
non-eroded one a little down, say 0.0001*y). Give the eroded HF a
ground or rock texture and the smooth one a water texture. This should
do the trick.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700