POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Math Question Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:30:52 EDT (-0400)
  Math Question (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Robert J Becraft
Subject: Math Question
Date: 2 Dec 1999 07:54:38
Message: <38466c0e@news.povray.org>
I'm posting this because I'm sure it is a simple trig thing and that was too
many years ago for me to remember it.

I have an object... let us assume it is a picture for simplicity....

camera ----->      picture

In this scenario, the picture is perpendicular to the viewing angle of the
camera.  What I want is the formula that will tell me how much to rotate the
picture to keep the picture perpendicular when I MOVE the camera.

For example, if the camera is at <0,0,0> and the picture is at <10,0,0>  and
then I move the camera to <0,0,5>, how much do I need to rotate the picture
to get it back to a 90 degree angle respective to the camera?   X,Z
coordinates are fine, I don't need any 3-D solutions to this problem.

Regards,
Robert J Becraft
aka cas### [at] aolcom

Post a reply to this message

> I'm posting this because I'm sure it is a simple trig thing and that was too
> many years ago for me to remember it.
>
> I have an object... let us assume it is a picture for simplicity....
>
> camera ----->      picture
>
> In this scenario, the picture is perpendicular to the viewing angle of the
> camera.  What I want is the formula that will tell me how much to rotate the
> picture to keep the picture perpendicular when I MOVE the camera.
>
> For example, if the camera is at <0,0,0> and the picture is at <10,0,0>  and
> then I move the camera to <0,0,5>, how much do I need to rotate the picture
> to get it back to a 90 degree angle respective to the camera?   X,Z
> coordinates are fine, I don't need any 3-D solutions to this problem.
>
> Regards,
> Robert J Becraft
> aka cas### [at] aolcom

The inverse tangent of (5/10): 26.565051 degrees, about the y-axis. <0,
26.565051, 0>.  Unless I'm misreading the problem.

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message