POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The old max_trace_level is back! Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  The old max_trace_level is back! (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Luciano Pennini
Subject: The old max_trace_level is back!
Date: 3 Nov 1999 08:43:33
Message: <38203931.CBAB9DAC@writeme.com>
Hello!
    Does anybody know how to get the highest safe max_trace_level value
for a scene?
    I'm trying to render a scene which consist of a blob and a plane.
It's much like the cheesy checker floor with a crystal ball.  But I
happen to love what I've done, and right now I'm trying to render the
scene at it's best. So I added features as I started to understand the
workings of povray.
    Anyway let's go back to the problem.  When I try to render the scene
with max_trace_level > 120 the program crashes with the known 'stack
overflow' error.
    I've noticed a couple of things.
        1. If I set max_trace_level >= 200 the program crashes on the
first radiosity pass (I don't know the name for this pass, sorry)
        2. If (max_trace_level > 120) and (max_trace_level < 200) it
crashes somewhere in the real rendering (not the radiosity pass).
        3. Enabling or disabling area lights, radiosity, anti alias
won't change the point at wich the program crashes.
        4. Povwin and povdos behave the same way.
        5. It does the same on WinNT, Win98 or pure DOS.

    Memory shouldn't be an issue, in using a PIII/450 256Mb Ram 9Gb HD
with a 512Mb swapfile.
    Does anybody know if the linux version has the same problem?

    Thanks in advance
    Luciano Pennini

Post a reply to this message