POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The old max_trace_level is back! : Re: The old max_trace_level is back! Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:01:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The old max_trace_level is back!
From: Luciano Pennini
Date: 3 Nov 1999 11:50:02
Message: <382064E3.AF5DDEC6@writeme.com>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Luciano Pennini <lpe### [at] writemecom> wrote:
> :     Anyway let's go back to the problem.  When I try to render the scene
> : with max_trace_level > 120 the program crashes with the known 'stack
> : overflow' error.
>
>   This is a real problem, of course, but you should note that depending
> on the scene there is a point where increasing the max_trace_level will
> have no effect in the result because adc_bailout will kick in.

Yep, I've read the manual.  But when the render ends it reports that 120/120
where used, and I havent't touched adc_bailout default value.

>   Only if you have absolutely transparent objects or objects that reflect
> everything the increase of the max_trace_level will have effect (supposing
> that these surfaces will be hit in each recursion).

That's what this scene is about.  I'm looking a transparent blob at point
blank.  The effect is beautifull, but the rendering time it's awfull.
I've also tryied to render a more simple scene with adc_bailout = 0 and I
played with max_trace_level to see if I can get a safe value.  But this is a
time consuming process, which doesn't yield accurate results.  Since the
numbers that i've got with this method won't work on a different scene.
I don't know how the actual code works, so I have no idea which variables come
to play at rendering time.

BTW do you know if the linux version has the same problem?
And if this is true.  Any clue 'bout wich code is easier to modify (unix, dos
or windows)??

Thanks in advance
Luciano Pennini