POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV *ity test.. Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  POV *ity test.. (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Alex Vandiver
Subject: POV *ity test..
Date: 30 Oct 1999 00:58:52
Message: <381A7B29.37A3636E@tiac.net>
One thing the POV community is missing is a POV *ity test; in other
words, what insane things have you done with POV and/or what strange
tricks do you know?  This has no bearing on your artistic ability, POV
knowledge, or general worth.. ;>  I care not so much for scores as for
additions/corrections.  This list does have some overlap with the 'You
know you have been raytracing too long when..' list, with the difference
that some people have actually done these things..
Without further ado,
POV-Ray *ity test, 50 questions
SIMPLE STUFF
..rendered a 'reflective sphere over checkered plane' scene?
..rendered all of the examples?
..shamelessly stolen and modified one of the examples?
..used POV units less than 0.0001?
 ..less than 0.000001?
..greater than 10000?
 ..greater than 1000000?
..done an entire render at 1pps?
..nested more than ten {} blocks?
 ..more than twenty {} blocks?
..upgraded just to speed up your rendering time?

UGLIER STUFF
..generated height_fields in POV-Ray, for use in POV-Ray?
..hand-coded bezier patches?
 ..polygons?
 ..meshes?
 ..smooth_triangles?
..hand-coded using the right-handed system?
 ..by mistake?
 ..using some other system (neither right nor left)?
..manually specified bounding?
..manually specified clipping?
..known the difference between bounding and clipping?
..done animation?
 ..wthout the clock variable?
..used media?
 ..and gotten it to work the first time?
..used the matrix command?
..used julia_fractals?
..used poly, cubic, quartic, or quadric?

#PROGRAMMING
..used a macro?
..written a macro?
..written a recursive macro?
 ..for something other than a fractal?
..written a macro only to do mathmatical operations?
..used file I/O directives?

PATCHES
..used a patched version of POV-Ray?
..looked at the POV-Ray source?
..changed the source?
 ..and had it work the way you wanted the first time?
 ..with beneficial consequences?
..released a patch?
 ..that was included in the Superpatch?
 ..that was included in the official build?

NEWSGROUPS
..been forced to go to/gone to p.o.t?
..posted a binary in the wrong group?
..been involved in a flame war? (>50 messages in one thread)
 ..not on p.o-t?

OTHER
..used DKB-Trace?
..contributed to this list?
..contributed to the YKYBRTLW.. list?

Additions?
-Alex Vandiver

Post a reply to this message

Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

>One thing the POV community is missing is a POV *ity test; in other
>words, what insane things have you done with POV and/or what strange
>tricks do you know?  This has no bearing on your artistic ability, POV
>knowledge, or general worth.. ;>  I care not so much for scores as for
>additions/corrections.  This list does have some overlap with the 'You
>know you have been raytracing too long when..' list, with the difference
>that some people have actually done these things..
>Without further ado,
>POV-Ray *ity test, 50 questions
>SIMPLE STUFF
>..rendered a 'reflective sphere over checkered plane' scene?
    Sphere, no.  Torus, yes
>..rendered all of the examples?
    Yes
>..shamelessly stolen and modified one of the examples?
    Sort of
>..used POV units less than 0.0001?
    Yes
> ..less than 0.000001?
    I think so
>..greater than 10000?
    Yes
> ..greater than 1000000?
    Yes
>..done an entire render at 1pps?
    Unfortunately
>..nested more than ten {} blocks?
    Yes
> ..more than twenty {} blocks?
    This is in progress
>..upgraded just to speed up your rendering time?
    No

>UGLIER STUFF
>..generated height_fields in POV-Ray, for use in POV-Ray?
    Yes
>..hand-coded bezier patches?
    No
> ..polygons?
    Yes
> ..meshes?
    Yes
> ..smooth_triangles?
    No
>..hand-coded using the right-handed system?
    Yes
> ..by mistake?
    No
> ..using some other system (neither right nor left)?
    No
>..manually specified bounding?
    Frequently
>..manually specified clipping?
    Occasionally
>..known the difference between bounding and clipping?
    Of course
>..done animation?
    All the time
> ..wthout the clock variable?
    Oops
>..used media?
    Yes
> ..and gotten it to work the first time?
    Amazingly
>..used the matrix command?
    Often
>..used julia_fractals?
    Not yet
>..used poly, cubic, quartic, or quadric?
    Yes

>#PROGRAMMING
>..used a macro?
    Yes
>..written a macro?
    Yes
>..written a recursive macro?
    Yes
> ..for something other than a fractal?
    See "POV-Ray Virus" in p.b.s-f
>..written a macro only to do mathmatical operations?
    Yes
>..used file I/O directives?
    See "POV-Ray Virus"

>PATCHES
>..used a patched version of POV-Ray?
    Yes
>..looked at the POV-Ray source?
    Yes
>..changed the source?
    Yes
> ..and had it work the way you wanted the first time?
    Yes
> ..with beneficial consequences?
    Very
>..released a patch?
    Not yet -- still in progress
> ..that was included in the Superpatch?
    No
> ..that was included in the official build?
    Not yet.

>NEWSGROUPS
>..been forced to go to/gone to p.o.t?
    Nope.
>..posted a binary in the wrong group?
    Never
>..been involved in a flame war? (>50 messages in one thread)
    Define "one thread"
> ..not on p.o-t?
    I don't use the stuff

>OTHER
>..used DKB-Trace?
    Still looking for it
>..contributed to this list?
    Not yet
>..contributed to the YKYBRTLW.. list?
    I don't think so.

>Additions?

.. Done something completely pointless, such as porting POV-Ray to the
Commodore 64?

Answer: I'm working on it.

>-Alex Vandiver

Post a reply to this message