POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV *ity test.. : Re: POV *ity test.. Server Time
10 Aug 2024 20:58:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV *ity test..
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 30 Oct 1999 01:54:52
Message: <381a882c@news.povray.org>
Alex Vandiver wrote in message <381A7B29.37A3636E@tiac.net>...
>One thing the POV community is missing is a POV *ity test; in other
>words, what insane things have you done with POV and/or what strange
>tricks do you know?  This has no bearing on your artistic ability, POV
>knowledge, or general worth.. ;>  I care not so much for scores as for
>additions/corrections.  This list does have some overlap with the 'You
>know you have been raytracing too long when..' list, with the difference
>that some people have actually done these things..
>Without further ado,
>POV-Ray *ity test, 50 questions
>SIMPLE STUFF
>..rendered a 'reflective sphere over checkered plane' scene?
    Sphere, no.  Torus, yes
>..rendered all of the examples?
    Yes
>..shamelessly stolen and modified one of the examples?
    Sort of
>..used POV units less than 0.0001?
    Yes
> ..less than 0.000001?
    I think so
>..greater than 10000?
    Yes
> ..greater than 1000000?
    Yes
>..done an entire render at 1pps?
    Unfortunately
>..nested more than ten {} blocks?
    Yes
> ..more than twenty {} blocks?
    This is in progress
>..upgraded just to speed up your rendering time?
    No

>UGLIER STUFF
>..generated height_fields in POV-Ray, for use in POV-Ray?
    Yes
>..hand-coded bezier patches?
    No
> ..polygons?
    Yes
> ..meshes?
    Yes
> ..smooth_triangles?
    No
>..hand-coded using the right-handed system?
    Yes
> ..by mistake?
    No
> ..using some other system (neither right nor left)?
    No
>..manually specified bounding?
    Frequently
>..manually specified clipping?
    Occasionally
>..known the difference between bounding and clipping?
    Of course
>..done animation?
    All the time
> ..wthout the clock variable?
    Oops
>..used media?
    Yes
> ..and gotten it to work the first time?
    Amazingly
>..used the matrix command?
    Often
>..used julia_fractals?
    Not yet
>..used poly, cubic, quartic, or quadric?
    Yes

>#PROGRAMMING
>..used a macro?
    Yes
>..written a macro?
    Yes
>..written a recursive macro?
    Yes
> ..for something other than a fractal?
    See "POV-Ray Virus" in p.b.s-f
>..written a macro only to do mathmatical operations?
    Yes
>..used file I/O directives?
    See "POV-Ray Virus"

>PATCHES
>..used a patched version of POV-Ray?
    Yes
>..looked at the POV-Ray source?
    Yes
>..changed the source?
    Yes
> ..and had it work the way you wanted the first time?
    Yes
> ..with beneficial consequences?
    Very
>..released a patch?
    Not yet -- still in progress
> ..that was included in the Superpatch?
    No
> ..that was included in the official build?
    Not yet.

>NEWSGROUPS
>..been forced to go to/gone to p.o.t?
    Nope.
>..posted a binary in the wrong group?
    Never
>..been involved in a flame war? (>50 messages in one thread)
    Define "one thread"
> ..not on p.o-t?
    I don't use the stuff

>OTHER
>..used DKB-Trace?
    Still looking for it
>..contributed to this list?
    Not yet
>..contributed to the YKYBRTLW.. list?
    I don't think so.

>Additions?

.. Done something completely pointless, such as porting POV-Ray to the
Commodore 64?

Answer: I'm working on it.