POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : MetaCreations Painter 3D Server Time
8 May 2024 19:06:10 EDT (-0400)
  MetaCreations Painter 3D (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Derek Zahn
Subject: MetaCreations Painter 3D
Date: 28 Oct 1999 02:53:16
Message: <3817f2dc@news.povray.org>
Hello all!

MetaCreations apparently used to make a program called "Painter 3D" which is
a program for painting on 3-D models.  They don't really mention it much on
their web site so I suppose it is discontinued, but I found it being
liquidated at www.ubid.com and picked up a copy last week.  So far I have
successfully been able to take an object (well, a torus, heh) generated by
the Rhino eval, import it into Painter 3D, paint on it, and render the
result in UVPOV after converting the file.  It's kind of a convoluted
process and the program is a bit clumsy and also a bit slow, but it has tons
of tools and I just thought that some people here might find it a useful
addition to their toolset.  I got it for $22 and they seem to put more
copies up for auction every few days.  That's pretty cheap for what the
program has in it.  There are some copies available again for auction today,
current bid is $17.  It might even be usable as a decent 2D paint program.

Just a heads up on what I thought was a pretty good deal.  Oh, I have no
connection to ubid or metacreations and do not stand to benefit from this in
any way (except maybe if somebody else gets the program we can talk about it
here).

Post a reply to this message

How does this program "paint?"  Is each face colored a single color, or can
paint the object as if it were real, and you had a spraycan in your hand?

Dan

Derek Zahn wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> MetaCreations apparently used to make a program called "Painter 3D" which is
> a program for painting on 3-D models.  They don't really mention it much on
> their web site so I suppose it is discontinued, but I found it being
> liquidated at www.ubid.com and picked up a copy last week.  So far I have
> successfully been able to take an object (well, a torus, heh) generated by
> the Rhino eval, import it into Painter 3D, paint on it, and render the
> result in UVPOV after converting the file.  It's kind of a convoluted
> process and the program is a bit clumsy and also a bit slow, but it has tons
> of tools and I just thought that some people here might find it a useful
> addition to their toolset.  I got it for $22 and they seem to put more
> copies up for auction every few days.  That's pretty cheap for what the
> program has in it.  There are some copies available again for auction today,
> current bid is $17.  It might even be usable as a decent 2D paint program.
>
> Just a heads up on what I thought was a pretty good deal.  Oh, I have no
> connection to ubid or metacreations and do not stand to benefit from this in
> any way (except maybe if somebody else gets the program we can talk about it
> here).

Post a reply to this message