POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : torus "bug"? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 11:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  torus "bug"? (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Larry Fontaine
Subject: torus "bug"?
Date: 16 Oct 1999 21:12:35
Message: <380922BD.C98E15DF@isd.net>
If you have a torus with minor>major, you get a big ugly hole chopped
out of the center. Shouldn't it just be like a torus without a hole,
like a red blood cell sort of thing?

Post a reply to this message

From: Gerald K  Dobiasovsky
Subject: Re: torus "bug"?
Date: 17 Oct 1999 03:38:01
Message: <38097cd9@news.povray.org>
Larry Fontaine <lfo### [at] isdnet> wrote:
> If you have a torus with minor>major, you get a big ugly hole chopped
> out of the center. Shouldn't it just be like a torus without a hole,
> like a red blood cell sort of thing?

It should.

A torus created by a "quartic"-statement renders ok.

Since "torus" uses the same polynomial root solver, the problem
probably lies in the intersection calculation of the bounding volume.

(I had no time to take a peek at the source, but the docs say a cylindrical
ring is used; maybe the author of the code forgot to make provisions for
the case of minor > major.)

Gerald

Post a reply to this message