POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : torus "bug"? : Re: torus "bug"? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: torus "bug"?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 17 Oct 1999 07:56:29
Message: <rrgJOH+hG7x+O4Gs5wAoM5U2xvX0@4ax.com>
On 17 Oct 1999 06:05:58 -0400, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:

>  I have not tested it, but I would bet that the problem is in the bounding.
>  If I remember correctly, a torus is bounded with the difference of a
>cylinder and a smaller cylinder. If the minor radius of the torus is greater
>than the major radius, the inner cylinder will have a negative radius (instead
>of havin a radius 0 as it should).

A torus is bounded by two open cylinders and two capping discs with
holes. If minor > major then the hole of a capping discs would be
greater than its radius. Also, the inner bounding cylinder would
become outer and vice versa, which might pose some "insidedness"
problems.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700