POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : tools for creating image maps ? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  tools for creating image maps ? (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Subject: tools for creating image maps ?
Date: 19 Sep 1999 23:28:31
Message: <37e5a9df@news.povray.org>
<flame>
Why can't Photoshop get PNG files right?  Not only does it seem to have no
way to view my palette when I'm editing a "indexed color" image, but when I
save as PNG, it saves as a 8-bit/sample RGB file!  Isn't that kind of
missing the point?!
</flame>

What tool (running under Windows NT) can I use to find out what palette I
ended up with in a GIF file?  That is, I need to know which color index is
which RGB value, so I can set up my "transmit" modifiers properly in the
image_map statement.

Better yet, how can I put them in the order I want in the first place, so I
don't have to re-do it every time I edit the file?

Do I need to write a BMP/TGA to PNG converter that takes an optional palette
file as input to guide the conversion, or does something like that already
exist?

--John

Post a reply to this message

I haven't use paletted images for awhile, but with paint shop pro you can edit
the palette and read what colors are assigned to which index.  You can even load
a palette you would like to use.  It'll save PNG images to 256 colors too.

demoville is www.jasc.com

-Mike

John M. Dlugosz wrote:

> <flame>
> Why can't Photoshop get PNG files right?  Not only does it seem to have no
> way to view my palette when I'm editing a "indexed color" image, but when I
> save as PNG, it saves as a 8-bit/sample RGB file!  Isn't that kind of
> missing the point?!
> </flame>
>
> What tool (running under Windows NT) can I use to find out what palette I
> ended up with in a GIF file?  That is, I need to know which color index is
> which RGB value, so I can set up my "transmit" modifiers properly in the
> image_map statement.
>
> Better yet, how can I put them in the order I want in the first place, so I
> don't have to re-do it every time I edit the file?
>
> Do I need to write a BMP/TGA to PNG converter that takes an optional palette
> file as input to guide the conversion, or does something like that already
> exist?
>
> --John

Post a reply to this message

>Why can't Photoshop get PNG files right?  Not only does it seem to have no
>way to view my palette when I'm editing a "indexed color" image, but when I
>save as PNG, it saves as a 8-bit/sample RGB file!  Isn't that kind of
>missing the point?!
></flame>

Have you had a look at the help files? What version are you using? Mine
(5.5) does this (saving) just fine, and I can see the palette any time I
want.

>What tool (running under Windows NT) can I use to find out what palette I
>ended up with in a GIF file?  That is, I need to know which color index is
>which RGB value, so I can set up my "transmit" modifiers properly in the
>image_map statement.

Have you tried "exporting" it as a GIF instead of saving it as a GIF after
color reduction?

>Better yet, how can I put them in the order I want in the first place, so I
>don't have to re-do it every time I edit the file?

You've got me there. I know of a BMP utility for making startup screens that
allows this, but no other program. You can also save the palette and use it
for other images later on.

>Do I need to write a BMP/TGA to PNG converter that takes an optional
palette
>file as input to guide the conversion, or does something like that already
>exist?

The more the merrier...

Post a reply to this message

John M. Dlugosz <joh### [at] dlugoszcom> schreef in berichtnieuws
37e5a9df@news.povray.org...
> What tool (running under Windows NT) can I use to find out what
palette I
> ended up with in a GIF file?  That is, I need to know which color
index is
> which RGB value, so I can set up my "transmit" modifiers properly in
the
> image_map statement.
>
> Better yet, how can I put them in the order I want in the first place,
so I
> don't have to re-do it every time I edit the file?
>
> Do I need to write a BMP/TGA to PNG converter that takes an optional
palette
> file as input to guide the conversion, or does something like that
already
> exist?
>
> --John

Post a reply to this message