POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : tools for creating image maps ? : Re: tools for creating image maps ? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: tools for creating image maps ?
From: Mike
Date: 20 Sep 1999 23:41:14
Message: <37E6FC4B.8185541D@aol.com>
> I've not touched PSP in a long time, either.  Their newer version added more
> serious features, but also changed things so I no longer knew how to operate
> it.  Meanwhile, it chokes when I print large images, so I gave up using it
> even for light duity work.

I still use version 5 almost daily for things like screen capture, browsing, and
batch conversion.  I don't use it much for detail work or, like you mention,
large images because it isn't all that efficient with memory.  It also doesn't
save alpha channels with images for some strange reason.

> So, if you don't use paletted images, what do you use for POV image maps?
> Photoshop refuses to save as anything other than native format if the image
> has transparant patches <sigh>.

I tend to stick with alpha channels for specifying transparency since it's alot
less work and you can get smooth results that way.  I will still use GIF images
and the filter all keyword when I want specific filtering effects like stained
glass.  The docs say you can have different transparency levels set for each
color in a paletted PNG image, but nothing I have supports that (I use
photopaint and PSP).

So, in short, I pretty much stick to 32-bit targa or PNG images with alpha
channels for 99% of my image mapping.

-Mike