POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : UPD: the world of pov-ray users Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  UPD: the world of pov-ray users (Message 13 to 22 of 22)
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: UPD: the world of pov-ray users
Date: 14 Sep 1999 09:28:03
Message: <37de4d63@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 07:25:21 GMT, Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:
>Hi Ron Parker, you recently wrote in povray.general:
>
>> You might try this one, though it looks like you'll have to do two
>> HTTP requests and may have to further validate the results:
>>
>> http://www.nima.mil/gns/bin/validate_query
>
>Yes, I tried that one, but it's a two-step process and even passing
>the same data to the second step as the form does, gives an error
>message (sigh).

Have you tried faking a referer header?

Alternatively, you might try this:

http://www2.gsoc.dlr.de/scripts/satvis/countries.asp

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 14 Sep 1999 13:27:38
Message: <37de85d6.38974882@194.174.214.110>
Hi Ron Parker, you recently wrote in povray.general:

> Have you tried faking a referer header?
Nope, didn't try that.

> Alternatively, you might try this:
> http://www2.gsoc.dlr.de/scripts/satvis/countries.asp
Ahh, now that looks very promising....

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 14 Sep 1999 13:28:20
Message: <37df8600.39017033@194.174.214.110>
Hi Alexander Enzmann, you recently wrote in povray.general:

> You might take a look at Home Planet ...
Yes, I checked the website, but it didn't lookl like it could extract
the cities....

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Sep 1999 17:29:12
Message: <37debe28@news.povray.org>
I've been doing some thinking (only thinking) about changing the
markers, however country-based colors was not one of the thoughts, so
thanks for suggesting it whether I do that or not.
Only real problem comes from making them very obvious, since red is
not present in the image_map that seems the most clearly visible from
what I've found.  One of the things I was going to do though is
increase the sizes for the overall world ones (in the zoom views they
are scaled down btw) because there's a few that are pretty obscure
since they are near edges of the planet.  Jpeg further reduces their
visibility.  Which is the problem basically, primary colors dissolve a
lot, and green blue or yellow would blend into the colors already
there leaving magenta as a possibility but think I tried that too long
ago and it blends in at certain places too.  White or black alone (or
any plain color dot) can also be difficult to see right if in a
certain place.  Another problem is the media atmosphere since it gets
hazy toward edges.
I might try to go back to little spotlights shone upon each position
but that tends to mean lowering the brightness of the rest of it.
Anyway, I'll be thinking some more and trying a few things out.  Also
that country idea.

Bob

smellenbergh <sme### [at] skynetbe> wrote in message
news:1dy### [at] dialup146leuvenskynetbe...
> Hi,
>
> The Pov-world population is growing. Soon some countries will be
hidden
> under the markers :-)
>
> Maybe you could use coloured markers for each country. You really
don't
> need that many different colours so that no two neighbouring
countries
> have the same coloured markers. Then you could actually see how many
> users live in Belgium, the Netherlands or Luxemburg. Now it is one
> cluster.
>
> Also, linking the marks to counties might allow for corrections per
> country. If for instance a user of Christmas Island - is there
one? - is
> getting wet feet, you could place him back on land, without having
> correct the rest of the world.
>
> Smellenbergh
> --
> e-mail:sme### [at] skynetbe
>
> http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh
>
> >Bob Hughes <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>
> >   The World Map of Pov-Ray Users has never had better accuracy, I
> > discovered a flaw in the markers which caused them to be elevated
> > above the globe slightly and at oblique viewing angles this
created a
> > position offset (thanks Antti!).  To summarize, they were once
more
> > spherical and then had later been flattened out, this left their
> > centers hovering.  It wasn't so noticeable before the "zoom"
views.
> > Plus there has been refinements made on a couple locations as
well.
> > Enough said. Check it out again everyone, if you will.  If you are
> > near a edge of the "world" you may be surprised at the difference
from
> > previous maps.
> >
> >  http://members.aol.com/wrld0rigin/povwrldjpg.htm

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 14 Sep 1999 18:07:34
Message: <37dec726@news.povray.org>
From what I've seen no one seems to have made a truly complete (or
nearly so)database of world cities/towns which also outputs Lat/Lon.
But I continue to wade through the masses of websites myself.  Will
keep you in mind should I stumble upon anything.

Bob

Lutz Kretzschmar <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message
> Hi Alexander Enzmann, you recently wrote in povray.general:
>
> > You might take a look at Home Planet ...
> Yes, I checked the website, but it didn't lookl like it could
extract
> the cities....
>
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 15 Sep 1999 07:07:08
Message: <37DF7F38.9D8043EF@mitre.org>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:

> Hi Alexander Enzmann, you recently wrote in povray.general:
>
> > You might take a look at Home Planet ...
> Yes, I checked the website, but it didn't lookl like it could extract
> the cities....

They are in the file sitename.txt, around 1400 cities referenced to
lat/long.  I'll zip and email separately.

Xander

Post a reply to this message

From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 15 Sep 1999 17:48:14
Message: <37dfa0ff.178476677@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:56:09 -0500, "Bob Hughes" <inv### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

>I've been doing some thinking (only thinking) about changing the
>markers, however country-based colors was not one of the thoughts, so
>thanks for suggesting it whether I do that or not.
[snip]

Another option, of course, being to colour by quantity. If you can
work out how many dots are near enough to each other to obscure one or
more, have a different colour/shape to signify 1,2-5,7-10 etc.

Overkill ahoy!

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 15 Sep 1999 18:04:35
Message: <37e017f3@news.povray.org>
Ah, but that is what the zoomed in views are for, so I don't have to
try and do that  : )  Anything is worthy of consideration though so
thanks for sharing that thought.

Bob

From: Ron Parker
Date: 16 Sep 1999 09:24:25
Message: <37e0ef89@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:04:02 -0500, Bob Hughes wrote:
>Ah, but that is what the zoomed in views are for, so I don't have to
>try and do that  : )  Anything is worthy of consideration though so
>thanks for sharing that thought.

I know this isn't exactly on the current thread of discussion, but
I don't appear to be on the map.  I'm in the list, but the closest
dot to my location appears to be somewhere in Ohio.  On-topic for
the current discussion, though - 'twould be nice if the outlines of
countries and perhaps states and provinces (in the bigger countries)
were overlaid on the map, something like what you see with weather
maps.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 16 Sep 1999 13:14:42
Message: <37e12582@news.povray.org>
Yep, way ahead of you on that political boundry idea.  Well, not WAY
ahead but I had thought of trying to get a boundary overlay on there
if I can get a good map of that to work into it okay.
Btw, you have email from me if you haven't seen it already.  Put
bluntly the start of those coordinate additions was pretty rough hewn
during the time I was adding people and places off of the newsgroup
messages and via email.  Not until the web page form was it going
nearly smooth and now it's mostly a matter of whether my email works
okay and people get their data done right.  It's just a matter of copy
& paste anymore, less the occasional normal email asking to be added.
99% accuracy is the only truly acheivable goal I think and I may have
a ways to go yet.

Bob